Thursday, April 19, 2012

Highfalutin Farm

IMG_0893

We visited a REAL farm yesterday to buy some fresh eggs and milk.

IMG_0891

The first thing we saw when we pulled up to the little store was a sign that said, “Out of milk until further notice.”  Huh?  A diary farm with no milk?  Get to milkin’ you lazy-ass farmer!  What kind of place are you running here?

IMG_0886

IMG_0884

And then the things they did have were expensive.  We bought some eggs ($5 per dozen!), some butter ($6), and some hot pepper cheese ($7).  (The carton the eggs were in is from Whole Foods, but the eggs were fresh from the farm.)  We had some eggs for supper last night and they were more flavorful than the kind we buy at the store, but they weren’t $5-per-dozen good!  The butter tastes like butter, and we haven’t tried the cheese yet.  It was a fun little adventure even though we won’t be going back and paying those prices.

IMG_0876 On the way there, we saw a momma duck and her little ducklings crossing two very busy streets.  One little baby duck could not make it up the curb from the street, and momma duck went back and got him.  It was so cute. 

IMG_0879 I didn’t really get a good picture of them, but I wanted to show you anyway.

IMG_0862

Here are the black and white votive covers I made a couple of days ago.  I made the red one a long time back.  These are very fun to make and make great little gifts.  The pattern link is in my previous post.

Linda asked me about the pattern I am using for the throw pictured in my previous post.  The free pattern is HERE.  It’s a fun pattern and a very easy one-row repeat that is mindless.  One note about this pattern:  Your starting chain really shrinks up quite a bit after you get the first row done, so make your chain AT LEAST 1/3 longer than you want it when you start.  I started with a chain of 250-ish and it’s not near as wide as I wanted it.  It makes a really pretty pattern.  I made a baby blanket for a shower gift using this pattern a few years ago…

Kaitlyns Blanket

Here it is.  I put a pretty white ruffle around it and dressed it up a bit since it was for a baby girl.  I used I Love This Yarn from Hobby Lobby for it.  It was so soft and squishy.

I’ve just about finished another project to show you.  I have to put the finishing touches on it later today and then I’ll take some pictures for ya.  Then I have a pattern I’m very excited about to test for a friend.  I’m sure she’ll let me show it to you when I’m finished with it.

See Ya!

8 comments:

  1. Pammy, if you were my neighbor, I would keep you in fresh eggs!!! They do taste much better. But 5 bucks is pretty steep for a dozen eggs. Although farm fresh run about 4 bucks a dozen here!!! Not HERE as in here at my house, I charge no one...but at the local farmers market. Love the votive covers, and the pretty throw!!!!
    Cute little duckies too!!!
    Hope you are well!!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pammy Sue,

    I love your blog and you make me laugh so often. I read but don't often comment. I had to on the farm visit though. I live in the midwest. I am always reading about shopping local buying fresh etc but I find the same thing you did when I go to local farmer's markets or farms. The prices are not affordable at all. Everything is really high in price and most of it has not been worth the amount of difference in price for us. I feel bad about going to the big chains but that is really most affordable for our family.

    I love the color you chose for the baby blanket. It is very pretty and the white border is really a nice complement to the piece.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is expensive! Doesn't it make you feel bad in a way? I mean, you're doing the good thing by trying to support the locals, but at those prices it's a wonder they have any traffic at all huh? Dang if I'd go back...in this economy I would head to Wally World or my local IGA. They
    are way cheaper!

    Love the baby blanky. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Farm Fresh is just another phrase meaning "eat up the pocketbook." I too can't believe it was a dairy without milk.

    Love the blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW to the price of the eggs. I use to have an egg lady. When I would be on my way home from work I would stop and she only charged $1.25 a dozen. I use to save all my egg cartons for her and if I wanted more than a dozen eggs I could always call her the day before and let her know I'd be stopping the next evening. There were times she had the egg sign covered and she told me to stop anyways, that she always had a spare dozen or 2 for me. I loved her! Now she raises little goats and makes and sells handmade soap from their milk. It smells so good.
    Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. $5 a dozen is the norm around here for eggs. (Australia)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How far away was that farm? I can't imagine it being out of milk. There are a couple places in our little country town that are selling eggs.. not sure how much. A coyote pack got our 3 chickens.. wah. We are going to get more chix, but will have to predator proof their run better. Love your crochet projects!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pammy Sue .. Love your little votive covers - they're very pretty and now I'm gonna have to add a few to my WIM list !!! How's Ollie going?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥