Saturday, March 03, 2012

Veggie Stir-Fry Dinner

We had the best stir-fry made at home that we’ve ever had last night…

IMG_0408I tried Alton Brown’s Baked Brown Rice Recipe to use in it.  I absolutely hate making rice on top of the stove.  It almost never comes out perfectly, but this way it did.  You can find the recipe and method HERE.  This is the way I’m going to do my brown rice from now on.

IMG_0410

IMG_0413 Here is the stir-fry recipe:

Brown Rice Veggie Stir-Fry

1 Tbsp olive oil

2 Tbsp soy sauce

2 Tbsp water

1/2 small onion, sliced

1 cup shredded cabbage

1 bag frozen stir-fry veggies

Handful Sugar Snap Peas

1/3 cup chopped Roma tomatoes

1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice

1/2-1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)

Heat first three ingredients in a wok or large frying pan.  Add onion, cabbage, and bag of stir-fry veggies.  Cook and stir 4-5 minutes.  Add sugar snap peas, tomatoes, and brown rice.  Cook and stir 2-3 minutes more until heated through.  Serve.  Makes about 3 large servings.

Then…

IMG_0420

Because we all know Chinese food doesn’t keep you full for long, I made us both a Pineapple-Banana Smoothie at about 8:00 last night.  I forgot to take a picture of them, but here’s the recipe.  We also like these with frozen peaches instead of pineapple, but the pineapple is our favorite.

Pineapple-Banana Smoothies

1/2 of a 16-oz bag frozen Pineapple Chunks

1 ripe banana (not frozen)

2 cups of Soy Milk

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 packets of Truvia (no-sugar sweetener)

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.  Pour into two glasses and serve.  (Makes 2 servings)

8 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks delicious but would never work with my redneck crew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a healthy dinner. Look at all that green. I too hate to make rice on the cook top. I'll have to give this a try. Those smoothies sound so delish. Isn't it amazing we both are still doing so well on our new healthy choices. I'm not calling it a diet, I'm calling it a life style change...he-he... Enjoy your car race this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam that looks amazingly delicious!!! Do you prefer to do your rice in a rice cooker? I am asking because I am considering getting one. I make a lot of rice...mostly for Ducey. I do love the nuttiness of brown rice too.
    You are really eating well!!!! Your nails look so pretty. Makes me want acrylic nails again. What is the rooster thing on the stove top? Is it a pan lid? What kind? Must know....I love roosters!!!
    Hugs and stitches....and oh, I am doing to need to talk to you gals about how to edge my afghan!!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just LOVE anything Altom Brown does. Must try the rice . . . will give me another chance to make my pineapple chicken

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think my husband would eat that...to many green things...LoL, but I would! MMMmmmmm, pineapple smoothy! I'll take one please :'}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo.. you just inspired my hubby to want to get some brown rice and try this recipe! We love home made fried rice but have used white rice.. but this would be so much better for us! I also would like to try the smoothie - I have a smoothie maker but the first ones I made were not that great so it's in the cabinet. Love the inspiration!! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That stir fry looks so yummy!! The perfect Friday meal for this "I don't like fish at all" person. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥