Thursday, March 01, 2012

Ham & Bean Soup

I made Kris’ Bean Soup today…

IMG_0395

You can follow the link above for her recipe using dry beans, or you can do what I did.  I just used three cans of Great Northern Beans (undrained) and 1/2 to 3/4 quart of chicken broth, or 2-3 cups, instead of the water and dry beans.  I didn’t add one lick of salt and it was plenty salty.  I used a Cook’s hickory smoked ham steak in mine.  I let it simmer on the lowest setting on top of the stove for 2 hours before blending about half of it up and leaving the other half chunky.  It was delicious!  This was so easy and so very good.  You must try this one.  I know this is one recipe I’ll be making many times.  Thank you, Kris, for this great recipe!  I hope you don’t mind me posting my version.

Here is my version of the ingredients so you can just copy, paste, and print it.

Ham & Bean Soup

2 Tbsp olive oil

1 onion, chopped

2 stalks of celery, chopped

10 baby carrots, chopped

3-4 cans Great Northern Beans, undrained

3/4 quart of chicken broth

1 ham steak, trimmed of fat and cubed small

Black pepper, to taste

Heat olive oil in a large pan.  Add onion, celery, and carrots.  Sauté for 8-10 minutes until soft.  Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.  Do not add any salt until after it has simmered.  The ham & beans have a lot of salt so you may not need to add any at all.  Mine didn’t need any.  Cover and turn down to the lowest setting.  Let simmer about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.  Using an immersion blender or potato masher, blend half of soup until smooth, leaving some chunks.  Test for saltiness and add salt if desired.  Serve hot.

IMG_0397

Here it is all blended up.

***********************

That’s it for today.  I did nothing but work, make this soup, take a shower, and take a nap on the couch.  I’m still searching for my next crochet project.  Bye!

 

10 comments:

  1. This looks really good & I will try it. I get to where I don't know what to cook anymore. Get bored eating the same things over & over. My taste buds are drooling over this!!!!!!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. How good does that look. Good to know you got in a nap today. After all that work I bet you just crashed out. He-He,,,, I think I know your next project unless those directions scared you off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going to have to try this... So glad Ollie is doing so much better...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I love soup like this! I will be making this weekend! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! I love soup like this! I will be making this weekend! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm wonder if this would be good unblended with some corn bread to "sop" up the juice. As my 5 year old says LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE beans in any size, shape and almost any recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, the soup looks good! I am flattered!!!
    I am going to have to get you and Kate and Teresa to help me do the crochet edging on my blanket. I have finally finished it!!!!!
    Is Ollie behaving?

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh man. I'm hungry. For some reason I'm just starving today.. gah. I'm meeting my new blog friend, Gracie, for lunch tomorrow at Red Lobster. I see some coconut shrimp in my future. Unless I be good and have soup and salad.. but then I'm going swimming after lunch.. do I get what I want or be good? :-D
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks sooooo good! Thanks for the recipe! Have a wonderful weekend Pammy Sue!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥