Sunday, February 05, 2012

Gloves & Vegetarian Lasagna

 

DSCF6050

I made these two pairs of gloves early this week and mailed them off to a friend.  The purple is the free Lacy Fingerless Gloves pattern, and the blue pair are from a pattern called Simply Elegant Fingerless Gloves that I bought on Ravelry which you can find HERE.  I tried embellishing the blue ones with a little heart and a flower, but I didn’t like the way either of them turned out so I left them plain.  But flowers or buttons on them would be cute.  Both are made with Stylecraft Special DK and a size E hook.  I started another pair last night using yet another pattern, but I only got one finished.  Will make the other one during the football game this evening.

***********************

I’ve been in the kitchen this morning putting together some Bean & Spinach Lasagna Roll-Ups.  I haven’t made these in a very long time, but we used to eat them all the time when we were following a mostly vegetarian diet.  I’ll show you the process and give the recipe at the end.

 

Boil lasagna noodles according to package instructions.  Drain the boiling water and rinse with cold water, leaving them in the cold water until you’re ready to use them.

Thaw out one box of frozen chopped spinach.  I usually put mine in a colander submerged in a bowl of hot water.  When it is thawed, squeeze out all the water and set aside in a small bowl.

Rinse and drain your 2 cans of pinto beans.  Pour them into a bowl or big plate and mash with a potato masher, or you can use your food processor.  It doesn’t need to be a perfectly smooth texture so I usually just use a fork or a potato masher.  Set aside.

Lay out your noodles (I usually make 3-4 at a time) on a flat surface, spread with a layer of the mashed beans, and then add a layer of the spinach…

DSCF6098 This is what they will look like.

Sprinkle with garlic powder and roll up the noodles…

DSCF6101

Spray a large baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and spoon some spaghetti sauce into the bottom.

DSCF6099 I made four of them in these individual dishes for our lunch, and then made the last 9 roll-ups in a bigger baking pan.

DSCF6108

DSCF6110

Pour the remainder of your spaghetti sauce on top of the roll-ups, sprinkle with dried oregano and parmesan cheese.  Yes, I know the parmesan is not vegetarian, but we’re not being crazy with it.  You could use a little soy cheese if you’re a strict vegetarian.  But a little parmesan won’t make us fat so we’re using it.  That’s the only cheese in this dish, but I promise you won’t miss it one bit.  These are really good!  (Especially if you’re on a diet and feel like you’re starving for some “real food”. 

Bake at 350 degrees F about 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

DSCF6109

DSCF6113

 

Bean & Spinach Lasagna Roll-Ups

 

1-lb box of Lasagna Noodles

1 box Frozen Spinach (10-oz)

2 cans Pinto Beans (15.5-oz each)

Garlic Powder

1 jar Spaghetti Sauce (28-oz) (I use Classico Tomato & Basil)

Dried Oregano

Grated Parmesan Cheese (the canned is fine)

Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions.  Rinse noodles with cold water to stop the cooking process.  Place noodles back in your pot and cover with cold water until ready to use.  Thaw and squeeze the water from spinach; set aside.  Drain & rinse the beans and mash with a potato masher or fork; set aside.  Spray a 13 x 9 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and place a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of the pan.

Lay your lasagna noodles on a flat working surface, spread with some of the beans and some of the spinach.  Sprinkle with garlic powder, roll-up, and place in your baking pan on top of the sauce.  Repeat until all noodles are used or your pan is full.  Top the roll-ups with the remainder of your spaghetti sauce, and sprinkle with oregano and parmesan cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Note:  I got 13 roll-ups using the above ingredient amounts.  You can adjust your amounts according to how many you want to make.  You may also want to use more spaghetti sauce than called for if you like your Italian dishes with lots of sauce. 

************************

DSCF6115

My yarn and hook for the gloves I’m making.  I’m using Caron Simply Soft Gray Heather that I had in my stash.

***************************

I’m not rooting for either the Giants or the Patriots today in the Superbowl.  I’m not a fan of either.  I’m sure the game will be on though.  I told The Captain last night that we had to be sure and record it just in case I miss the David Beckham commercial during the second quarter (or I want to watch it again).  Mmm…love me some David Beckham in his underwear!  He called me a whore.  Ha-ha-ha!  (He was only kidding)

7 comments:

  1. There's nothing like being a commercial whore . . LOLOL

    The roll ups do look good. Might have to print the recipe and try them. They made my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Must try your veggie lasagne tomorrow, it sounds and looks delicious! :)
    xo,
    wink

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I have to give these a try. They look great and I'm sure taste great. I bet your house smells great too. Mine smells like wet wool...he-he... We were bad at dinner last night, so it's back at it today. Ok, I wasn't that bad, but Scott was really really bad.

    It's S.B. time, need to go get me some Sesame Noodles and settle in for the commercials and halftime. Me, I'm looking for that Pepsi one with the surprise. I'm guessing it's the Biebs.

    Great directions by the way.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe. I am a vegetarian and am always on the lookout for new things to try. I might try a little low-fat ricotta, though. I love cheese. I agree about David Beckham. As long as he doesn't talk. I guess a horrible speaking voice is his trade-off for being so good-looking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those gloves are wonderful.. I simply have to make some for myself.. my fave is the lacy one. Your rollups look yummy. We're also trying to eat healthier. Right now we're both crunching away on 2 raw carrots each. Yum yum. :-) ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have given you an award If you participate in blog awards, I have one for you on mine. Have a great day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Pam, i love your gloves!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥