Thursday, January 12, 2012

Science Projects, Roast, and Cake

It’s Science, y’all…

010

Those of you who are on Pinterest and follow probably know from looking at this picture what I am about to do.  I’m making home-made laundry detergent!  Two gallons of it for about $6.  Is that a deal or what?  The only ingredient not shown is 2 gal of water.  Supposedly it gets your clothes just as clean as the expensive store-bought kind.  I will let you know how it works once I start using it.  That probably won’t be for another month or so since we have a new jug from the store we just opened.  You have to cook it.  The full instructions with pictures are HERE.

012

Also found on Pinterest recently was a recipe for a magical solution for cleaning your glass shower doors.  Heat up your vinegar, add an equal amount of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid to it, and funnel it into a spray bottle.  It’s supposed to work great on your shower and faucets and anything else you get water spot stains on.  I’ve misplaced the link and credit for this one.  Sorry!  But it’s just equal parts of each with the vinegar heated up first.

I hope I don’t blow up my kitchen today with all these weird concoctions.  Yikes.

******************************

On to more normal things…

016

Ingredients for Café Rio Shredded Beef

This recipe is in my crockpot as of about 30 minutes ago.  I can’t wait to try these tacos.  It sounds so good.  Recipe is HERE, but it’s kind of messed up so I retyped it with corrections below.  Note:  I’m using beef broth instead of chicken because using chicken broth in a beef recipe is just weird to me.  I also used olive oil instead of bacon grease.

014

Next!

004

Yes, I know this cake looks rather plain, but it’s really good.  It’s not frosted on the sides because I didn’t have enough powdered sugar to make enough to cover it.  It looks kind of pretty anyway.  I’ve read that it’s very “French” to frost a cake this way.  So I’ll call it French and stop apologizing.

005

It’s just a yellow cake mix made according to the directions on the box.  About 1/2 can of Lemon Pie Filling is between the layers.  I used two 9-inch round cake pans.

003

Cream cheese frosting for just the top:  4 oz cream cheese and 1/2 stick of butter creamed together with your electric mixer. Gradually add about 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract, and a little milk to get the consistency you want.  Double these ingredients if you want to cover your whole cake.

008 

Refrigerate for a few hours before serving.

007

So good with your Three O’Clock Afternoon Coffee.  That is my family’s traditional afternoon coffee and sweet time.

I sure have been cooking and baking up a storm lately.  It’s a tribute to how much better I’m feeling these days from the HRT I started about three weeks ago.  I have noticed that I have so much more energy and desire to do things.

Bye!

11 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are feeling better my friend. The cake actually is making my mouth water...I will make for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats one amazing looking cake Pammy Sue, pity Irelands so far away!!!!!
    Glad you're feeling good, gosh the stuff women have to go through, its just not on eh!!!
    Lol Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been one busy lady! I have made my laundry detergent a few times. But not the liquid. I like the powder I made, and it does work just fine!
    DId you make the punch? I love it. I have made some every weekend. So refreshing! I have used both Squirt and Sprite. Yum! Hows about those enchiladas?
    Have a yummy day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks and sounds yummy (except the cleaning products obviously). I'll be anxious to hear about the cleaning mixtures. I hope they work.

    I too have meat in the crockpot but mine is pork for canitas. Too bad we're not closing and we could have us a Mexican buffet. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS...I am making your amazing coffe cake recipie this weekend. It is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you blow up the house you can come stay with me- I have plenty of yarn! ROFL Just don't bring the dogs- I'd like them but they wouldn't like my cats! LOL Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at you go! The cake is gorgeous, I like it just frosted on the top. I've read about making the laundry detergent before and have thought about it. I'll be curious to see how yours turns out and what you think of it. Sounds like you are having a great day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. MMMM...that cake looks delish! I'm anxious to hear how the laundry detergent turns out. I already use the borax in my whites along with my regular laundry soap(when I have a big enough load of whites).

    So glad you're feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen that stuff on Pinterest and wondered how effective it was. Is that laundry soap okay to use in a high efficiency front load washer?

    Can't wait to hear how you like those tacos. If you like them I will give the recipe a try, tacos are one of hubby's favorite foods.

    Saw a recipe on Pinterest for a peanut butter sheet cake, might give that one a try. Will let you know if I do.

    So glad to hear you are feeling better :)

    Life with Lulu is going good, she is really an intelligent dog. She uses her wee wee pad and we are teaching her to sit and she seems to be catching on quick. Will take her to doggie classes when she is a little older. Thanks again for your help ... have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First that cake looks great and who doesn't love lemon. Now, about that glass cleaner, that I've made, but also as a smidgen of rubbing alcohol too. It does work, that's what I used for all my windows in the fall. Are we going to get to see your new shoes? Great to catch up, sorry I was kind of out of it. Nap Needed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great to hear that you are feeling som much better.
    I hope that you don't start getting you experiments mixed up and end up with washing powder cake and cream cheese frosting in the washing machine LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥