Saturday, January 14, 2012

Rugs, Hummus, and Lots of Dog Pics

I saw some of the coolest rugs while out shopping yesterday.  These are big rugs…5’ x 7’ or larger.

IMG_0081Pretty medallions.

A lot of these reminded me of crocheted afghans.

IMG_0082

Looks like Granny Ripples!

IMG_0083

Furry and soft.

IMG_0084

Pretty, eh?

But not $249 pretty!

IMG_0086

I also saw these owl mugs.

I saw  A LOT of owlie things.

Owls are in, man.  They are IT.

I bought nothing.

**************************************

But later back at the ranch…

IMG_0089

I made some hummus.

I’ve been in a tizzy to make some hummus the past few days.  I had a heck of a time getting the ingredients together.  First, I bought everything I needed, but I forgot the GARBANZO beans.  They’re only the main ingredient.  DUH.  So back to the store I went for some canned garbanzos.  In my defense, I thought I had some, but I was mistaken.  THEN I realized that I had forgotten the tahini (sesame paste), which is also another main ingredient in hummus.  I just plain forgot that one.  So back to the store I went AGAIN.

I was so excited to finally make it and was really craving that hummus at this point.  I bought these Everything Bagel Thins to heat up and eat with it.  You’re supposed to eat it with flatbread, but I thought these would be better.  I was right.  They were delish with it!  Yum, yum, yum.

Just as I got up from pigging out on some hummus and warm bagel thins, I realized that, in my haste and excitement, I HAD FORGOTTEN TO PUT THE TAHINI IN IT!  GAH.  I thought it was great without it!  The real pisser was that I had all ready cleaned my food processor.  SO…I put it all back in the clean food processor, added the tahini, and whirred it all up again.  I was full so I didn’t taste it with the tahini added in.  I’ll be having it today for lunch.

Here is how I made mine if you’d like to try it.  I had looked at many recipe for it on the All Recipes Website the day before.  After the basic ingredients of garbanzo beans, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil, it looked to me like you just add whatever you like according to your preference.  I decided to just use a good amount of garlic and a handful of fresh cilantro.  Here you go…

Pammy Sue’s Hummus:

2 cans of garbanzo beans, rinsed & drained

1/3 cup tahini

4 large cloves of garlic

3/4 tsp salt

Freshly-ground black pepper

Juice of half a lemon

1 big handful of cilantro leaves

About 1/3 cup olive oil

2-3 Tbsp water

In a food processor or blender, whir up all ingredients except the olive oil and water until a paste forms.  Stop and scrape the sides and start whirring again.  Drizzle in the olive oil and add water until it reaches the consistency you like.  Serve with warm Bagel Thins.  I heated my bagel up in the microwave for 20 seconds and tore pieces off to dip into the hummus.  The Captain had a toasted bagel with his.  It’s also good with tortilla chips.  Use whatever you want!  It’s healthy and delicious.  And apparently it’s delicious without the tahini if you don’t want to buy any.  Tahini is kind of expensive.  I paid $7+ for a can.  I’ll probably be able to make it at least 3-4 more times from this one can though.  I had always seen it in a jar before, but all they had was canned at this store.  (You can usually find it by the peanut butter at the grocery store if they carry it.  Otherwise, a health food store like Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s will have it.)

***************************

I’m bored outta my mind all ready today.  The Captain is working.  I have no idea what I’m going to do.

And finally, some shots of my doggies.  This first one I took to show you the spots on Ollie’s back.  They have darkened the older he’s gotten.  Now they are nearly as dark as Eli’s spots and are a butterscotch color.

IMG_0094The angle this picture was taken at makes Ollie look really big!  Y’all know he’s not that big though.  He looks nearly as big as Eli in this picture.  You can see that the backs of his ears are the same color.  He has no spots on his under-side. 

IMG_0070

What‘cha doin’?

IMG_0035

Sammi is also bored, but content.

She’s always content.  And shiny!

DSCF5952

Fletcher wants to go outside.

He loves it out there in the sun.

DSCF5745

Eli hoarding toys.

IMG_0067

All of my iPhone pictures have a yellow cast to them in artificial light.

DSCF5747

This was Ollie on Christmas morning in his Dallas Cowboys tee-shirt.

DSCF5733

DSCF5743

Fletch enjoying a new toy on Christmas morning.

Love that butt in the air.

DSCF5736

What the hell are you wearing?

DSCF5724

Eli collected ALL of the toys and wouldn’t let any of the other dogs have any.  What an ass!  How can he be that pretty and be such an asshole?  I don’t know either, but he definitely is.

DSCF5752

Sammi would rather sit on my lap than play with toys anyway.

Paw Divider Bar

5 comments:

  1. I love hummus. Will give this recipe a try too :)

    Your doggies are all so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful rugs! The first one really caught my eye. I have never tried hummus but would be willing to try at least once. Love the cute dogs especially Eli.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your dog pictures - Ollie is very cute in his tee-shirt but I have a very soft spot for Sammi. I think I've told you we're a real Pug family - have had them for most of my life (and I'm well into my 60s). At the moment I have my daughter's Pug, Tommy here for a few days while they're away. Its a real culture shock to our cat but our two little Japanese Chin babies don't mind him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'GASP'.....Ollie has spots?? lol. I love the pic of him in his shirt. He's so dang cute. My sister has 4 dogs now since her boyfriend died and two are chihuahua's (he had 3 and she has one like Eli). One is named Rita and she's dark except for her feet, they are all white. Sue says she prances around like a princess and when she lays she crosses her front feet. I'm so tempted to take her but I don't think Leo will like that one bit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥