Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Chop-Your-Ass-Off Quinoa Salad & Sesame Noodles

I made this quinoa salad yesterday.  I’d never had quinoa before, but I saw this recipe the other day and wanted to give it a try.  Remember we’re doing the healthy eating thing now.  (I lost 6 lbs in the first 10 days!)

 Quinoa Salad 1

Aren’t these ingredients beautiful?

Quinoa Salad 2

Cooked quinoa cooling on a cookie sheet.

Quinoa Salad 6

This is what the quinoa I used looks like.

I used the whole box, about 2 cups.

Quinoa Salad 5

So pretty!

Quinoa Salad 3

Quinoa Salad 4

This is really good and so fresh-tasting.  We both think it needs a little more dressing though, so I’ll be making more today to add to it (minus the oil).  I got the recipe HERE, but I changed the name of it.  You really do have to “chop your ass off” when you make this!  But it’s worth it.  *Edited to add:  Add more craisins instead of more dressing…they’re fantastic in there!  I ended up using a whole 10-oz. package.

Sesame Noodles Chicken

This was our lunch yesterday…grilled chicken breasts and sesame noodles.  YUM.  These are salad plates so it’s not as much food as it looks like!  I ended up only eating and 2/3 of my plate and had the rest for a snack last night.  The chicken was marinated in Italian salad dressing (I poured out most of the oil before using it) and then grilled on my grill pan indoors to get the grill marks and finished off in the oven.  The noodles are whole wheat with a little sesame oil, tahini, honey, green onions, red pepper flakes, and cilantro mixed in (I didn’t measure anything or use a recipe this time).  This is one of my very favorite dishes of all time!  Here is KATE’S original recipe that I normally use:

 

Kate’s Sesame Noodles

1 lb box Spaghetti Noodles

1/2 Cup Corn or Canola Oil (I use half of this)

6 Tbsp. Dark Sesame Oil

6 Tbsp. Honey

4 Tbsp. Soy Sauce

4 Tsp. Ground Red Pepper (Cayenne) to taste, more if you want hotter.

1 Tsp. Salt

Place oils and honey in sauce pan. Heat to just before boiling point. Add soy sauce, salt and red pepper. Simmer for 3 minutes or so.

Cook a 1-lb box of spaghetti. Drain, rinse and cool. Whole wheat works just fine.

Add above sauce to noodles. Refrigerate over night. Shake whenever you think about it to marinate all of the noodles.

Chop the following ingredients and add 20 minutes or so prior to serving:

1 Cup Chopped Cilantro

1 Cup Chopped Green Onions

1 Cup Chopped Salted Peanuts

More of the above can be added if you like. I do not usually measure this.

Serve Cold.

***************************

My mission today is to get some video of Ollie.  Will post it tomorrow or later tonight.

 

Have a good day!

7 comments:

  1. First off, good for you on the weight loss!!! We love quinoa too. Your sesame noodles look yummy! Is that OUR Kate's recipe? I will go check it out when I finish commenting here. Is Cap on the diet too. Hey, my Grandfather's nickname was Cap! How is little Ollie Ollie Oxen doing? What a little dynamo he is!
    Happy day friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pam!

    I'll have to give that try ! The salads look pretty & good!!!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! I am so going to try both of these recipes, thanks for sharing them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You healthy little gal, you. Yes it's a plethora of color here today. I too, am going to be making another batch of "my" noodles today. The last one was gone lickity split. Making ours with whole wheat linguine noodles today. Can't wait to see the vid of the Ol's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love that salad. I haven't actually made it myself but have purchased it at our local grocery store. I'll venture making it myself now --you've inspired me yet again, Pam.

    Congrats on the weight loss. That is totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting this!! I'm dealing with food intolerances again, and quinoa is a good wheat replacement. I have some here that's just been waiting for a recipe like this! Hopefully soon I'll get to try it!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is on the "to make" list...both things! Give Ollie a hug for me

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥