Monday, November 07, 2011

Fried

DSCF5008

Presto CoolDaddy

As I mentioned in yesterday’s post, The Captain got me a deep fryer for my birfday.  I have always wanted one but wouldn’t get it because fried food is not good for you, it makes you fat, I’d have to find someplace to store it, blah, blah, blah.  I casually mentioned that I would like to have one, and the Captain showed up with this all proud of himself.  He said he chose this one because it had a removable oil well and would be easier to clean.  He’s usually the one who does the cleaning up after I cook so that was an important selling point for him.  I cook/He cleans or He cooks/I clean.  That’s our deal most of the time.  He said this one was just a few dollars more than the other fryers that did not have removable wells.  I’m not sure how much it was, but he said it was somewhere between $35-$39.  My opinion:  It looks good, it worked well, it was easy to clean, and I’m happy.

DSCF5005

Meat & Onions for Philly Cheese Steak Egg Rolls

Recipe HERE.

I used 1/2 pkg Steak ‘Ems and about 3/4 of a sliced onion.  Then I seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Then I cut a slice of Provolone cheese into thirds and rolled it with some meat & onion mixture into an egg roll wrapper as shown in the link above.  I did use water to seal all the edges.  I didn’t get a photo of that part.  I was concentrating too hard on rolling them correctly and completely forgot.

DSCF5006

Here they are right after we put them in the fryer.

It only took 3-4 minutes to brown them up.

DSCF5009

They turned out great!

DSCF5010

YUMMY!

I made a sauce to dip them in.  I put about 1/4 of a cup of soy sauce into a small bowl, added about 1/2 tsp sugar, a couple of drops of sesame oil and some black pepper, and stirred it all together well.  These were really good and I’ll make them again.

Now I can’t wait to make some Chinese egg rolls with cabbage and meat and all that good stuff.  Of course, some fried chicken will be made soon too.  And hush puppies.  And onion rings.  And French fries.  The Captain wants me to make donuts.  Unless donut recipes have changed drastically in the last decade, they just are not as good as the ones you buy at a donut shop, IMHO.  If anybody knows differently and has a recipe they’d like to share, I’ll take it.  I’ll definitely have to limit the fried foods to once a month or so though.

Okay, that’s it for today.

Have a good one.

11 comments:

  1. I haven't made these but my sister emailed me this link about two months ago saying these were the best doughnuts she had ever made.

    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/crispy-and-creamy-doughnuts/detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun birthday gift. I used to make a mexican dish with the deep frier. It had shredded chicken in it with cream cheese, wrapped in a tortilla. I'll have to see if I can find the recipe. I haven't made them in years and years, but I remember it being delicious! Your egg rolls look great. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a fryer (not that model but similar) and I love it. I will send you some recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such an adventurous chef! Those look just tasty! I bet fried chicken will be great in that thing. Your different recipes are inspiring.
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMMMM...now you've gone and done it. I'm hungry! They look soooo good. The captain is a good man. He was thinking of you & himself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donuts, Donuts, Donuts.....

    Seriously, when you said you made egg rolls, I was not thinking from scratch. You go girl. Those look great.

    But...

    Donuts, Donuts, Donuts.

    Please

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun for you Pam, to get a new kitchen toy to play with. Those look yummy. My suggestion to the added fat that may occur in your diet since you got your toy is, ahem, just eat lotsa fresh veggies in the same meal to offset the fat and take some vitamin-E too, then it shouldn't clog your arteries. ENJOY!

    Hey, I loooovvveee the scallops that you are making in pastel rainbow colors can't wait to see it finished. Those blue/white booties are cute with the ruffle front.

    In response to Cho's jokes, I understand. I'm not a prude either but there is a limit and like you, I'd rather not go down that road. There's just enough funny stuff in the world to not have to be so gross to make it funny. Thanks for the happy doggie pics, love 'em. Take care and have a fab week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pam here's a link to similar shaped slippers and you could add the ruffles. I was lookin' at crochet patterns and came across these. http://sarahsweethearts.blogspot.com/2009/09/sweet-slipper-crochet-pattern.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh WOW Pammy Sue, that is one wonderful gift the Captain got you. I can't wait to see what recipes you come up with. I saw deep fried Oreos last night!!! Ha Ha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woo-Hoo! I love me a new kitchen gadget!!! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. words to live by: Food doesn't make us fat....over eating makes us fat. Fry on!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥