Friday, October 28, 2011

Tip for Beginning a Crochet Project

I want to show my fellow crocheters out there something I discovered.  Well, I didn’t exactly “discover” it.  I’d seen it written many times, but it’s nothing I ever paid attention to.  And if you’re like me, you haven’t paid attention to it either.

When you have any project that begins with a starting chain and then a row of sc, how do you make that sc stitch?  Have you ever tried making all your sc stitches in the back stitch or “hump” of your chain?

DSCF4934

The picture above shows my starting chain.  I’m about to start my first row which reads, “Sc in second chain from hook and in each chain across.”

DSCF4935Turn your starting chain one-quarter turn towards you.  You will be able to see the back loops or “humps,” denoted with red arrows above.  These are the stitches you’re going to put all of your sc stitches into.  Once you get the hang of it, it’s not awkward to do at all, and the result is totally worth it anyway.

DSCF4937This is what your completed Row 1 will look like.  So nice and neat, and your starting edge will be equally nice and tidy (see below).

DSCF4938 

In this picture, I have turned my yarn over so you can see the edge of your starting row.  These are the stitches where you will start your border or final rounds when your project is complete.  Of course, you can always use the foundation single crochet (fsc) method to start your project, but this is so much easier and makes your edge look just as neat.  I can never remember how to do the fsc, and I have to look it up on YouTube and learn it all over again when I want to use it.  I love to use that stitch because it looks so nice and neat, especially along a neckline of a sweater or something like that where you want nice, neat edges.

Anyway, I hope I’ve convinced some of you to try this method of beginning a project.  Try it!  You’ll love it!

Did I use the words “nice” and “neat” and “tidy” enough?

GS Page Divider

Oh my Lord…did you watch the World Series game last night??  It was pure torture watching that game.  I don’t know why I watch.  I really can’t take the pressure.  But what a great game!  Unfortunately, the Texas Rangers lost in extra innings, but they have another chance tonight.  Whichever team wins tonight takes The Title.  Let the torture begin!

GO RANGERS!

13 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to try that method. I've seen it mentioned, too, but haven't had opportunity to try. It definitely looks much nicer and more even.

    Yes, I had to go to bed once they went into extra innings--I couldn't handle the tension. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, neat, tidy post! :-p No, seriously, this is a great tip for getting started on a chain that is very common to many projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girlie.. I think I tried that start on my neat ripple, but if not, next project I'll do that. It definitely looks nice. Have you ever ended a project with the reverse crochet edging? It gives it a rope effect. It would look nice on the other end of a start like this.

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's a good tip !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good tute, pretty nails, and GO RANGERS!!!! Yes, that last game was torture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL...oh I am with you...I can hardly sit still when the game is on!!! And that is a great idea about the chain another is that if you are like me, and crochet really loose, then try using a larger hook for the chain and a smaller one for the pattern and you won't get that curled up look at one end...simple yes, but not always thought about... thanks for the tip...Debb

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have used this quite a bit since I learned to use it in Tunisian crochet to help with the curl associated with it. It really is a nice beginning edge. Great example of how to do it, Pam.

    Go Rangers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this great tip Pammy Sue, Its a new one for me :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tip. You know, I actually use this in knitting sometimes, I chain and then go into the back loops to pull up the loops I need to start knitting. It always makes such a lovely finish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guess what? This is the way I start all of my work. I love the neat finished look. What can I say...I taught myself crocheting many years ago using a book. BY THE BOOK is the way I did everything in the beginning...and 'still' for a lot of things. Even the exact way I hold my needle and thread (lacing the thread through my finger) is by the book...and easier to crochet too. No tired wrists...It was nice of you to share this. :-) Also, I can't wait for the game tonight!! I'm popping popcorn already!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will definitely give this a try. My least favorite part about crocheting is always that very first row working into the foundation chain :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous tutorial. You really must do this more often. I always seem to forget this one too. Glad to have the reminder.

    I just heard about the game this morning. So sorry, I know it must have been stressful for you last night. But, I was way too busy chit-chatting with Marty and dodging the Mom bullets. Yes, she was back again and that's twice in one week. Any who, just back from the airport drop-off and I am heading in for an afternoon napper. I need one bad. Will check in later.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never used that method before but I do use the fsc and love it. The only thing I don't like about it is if you have to tear out a couple of stitches I can't discern where to stop, so I have to make sure I have the right number of stitches to begin with or it's frog the whole damn thing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥