Sunday, October 09, 2011

Almond Delights

Many, many years ago, Alec Baldwin was on the Oprah Show with his mother.  His mother made Alec’s favorite “cookie,” which were these Almond Delights.  They are the simplest things to make, and everyone loves them and always asks for the recipe.  I’m giving this to you just in time for Thanksgiving & Christmas, but you can make them this month just to test them out.  ;)  I’m telling you…you’ve GOT to try these.

Almond Delights

Approx. 1/3 box Club Crackers

1 small pkg Almond Slivers (not sliced)

2 sticks (1 cup) butter

2/3 cup white sugar

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.  Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.  Don’t skip the foil and spray or you’ll wind up with a big mess.  Line your cookie sheet with the crackers and sprinkle the almonds over them evenly.  Set aside.

Combine butter and sugar in a small saucepan.  Once the butter and sugar have melted together and come to a roiling boil, start your timer and boil for 3 full minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and pour over the crackers & almonds.  Don’t worry if you don’t get them evenly covered.  It’s okay. 

Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.  Remove and cool COMPLETELY.  The sugar/butter mixture will harden and you’ll be able to break up the crackers once it has completely cooled.  Store in a tightly-covered container and hide them from everyone else.

I’m warning you…you won’t be able to stop eating these.  Just put a few on a plate and promise yourself you won’t go back for more.  Yeah, like that ever works!

DSCF4703 This is what mine looked like when I took them out of the oven.  They’re still cooling as I type this or I’d show you the finished cookies.

funny people divider

I really wanted to show you my oh-so-close-to-being-finished Granny Ripple afghan, but I decided it would spoil my Tah-Dah so you can’t see it.  Boo-hoo!  I have a name for it and everything.  I’m excited to finish and show it to y’all.  That’s what I’ll be doing while watching the NASCAR race today.

Oh, my son is coming over to cut my hair today!  Remember I hacked it all off last week to about chin-length?  Well, he’s coming over today to give me a proper cut & style, and I am looking forward to it.  I picked out a picture from one of those hair magazines to show him.  I’m glad I’m going to get my short hair back.  I’m tired of this long, stringy mess to deal with.  I do like being able to braid it or wear it up, but what the hell.  It’s a pain in the ass.

Bye-bye hair!

And Go Jeff Gordon!

race-car-border-graphic

5 comments:

  1. What a teaser on the blanket. And I think it makes perfect sense because then your ta-dah is better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are going to have to wait. Scott and I have eaten our way up and down the shoreline this week. Just back from a double scoop of Dark Chocolate, Cherry, Mocha dish of ice cream....drooling now, you bet.

    Actually, I'm glad you are going to wait for your ta-da, I want to have my first glimps on the big monitor when I get home tomorrow night. Yes, I'm ready to be there now.

    I will be skyping you for the actuall hair fix up too. I think it's going to be very cute.

    Scott did drive me around this morning and he did very well. Only minor bickering involved. I was letting him practice for the long drive tomorrow, so hopefully he can do some of it. There will be no meadeering on the way back home as we have the painters starting on the outside on Tuesday. Glad you posted as I was getting a little concerned.

    Toodle-ooo,
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE these cookies! Mom made them for me the last time I as there and I ate so many that it gave me heartburn. ha ha!

    Lucky you to have a son that does hair! Hope you like it short again. Now you can wear wild earrings and they'll show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lucky are you to have a son that will do your hair! I can't wait to see it. I've been toying with the idea of changing how I do my hair.. I've been doing it the same with for almost 30 years, how sad is that?
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH Pammy Sue these sound yummy..Is it Keebler club crackers? I like your hair short. Can't wait to see the afghan!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥