Wednesday, September 28, 2011

New Afghan in the Works

Do y’all remember this afghan?

DSCF1900

The Bell of the Fall

I made this afghan last October using The Garden Bell’s pattern for her Orphan Annie Afghan.  I gave it away as a retirement gift to a couple that we are good friends with.  They were both retiring at the same time last year.  I see it laying over the back of their couch when we go over there, and it makes me smile.

I started another afghan last night using this pattern.  I had forgotten what a fun pattern it is to crochet and how quickly it goes after the first couple of rows are out of the way and you have it committed to memory.  Mindless crochet is so relaxing.  I have to be careful because I tend to go overboard and crochet too long making my hands and arms ache like the devil.  I made myself stop last night after six rows.  The colors are very different than the fall colors in The Bell of the Fall, but they are beautiful.  I will give you a peek after I get all the colors in.

What’s this?

DSCF4658

That’s right!

It’s 5-6 inches of my hair.

It was wet…that’s why it’s so dark.

I decided I was done with it yesterday and chopped it off into the bathroom sink.  I’m free!  It’s still a little longer than chin-length, and I don’t regret it one bit.  I’m going to stare at it for a few days and decide what I want to do with what’s left.  (No, I did not have a Brittany Spears crazy moment.  I really was sane when I did it!)

Bye!

14 comments:

  1. I love that afghan..I dont know why but that is one of my very favorite afghan patterns...I want to do one like the red and white one on Tea cup lane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So brave to cut your own hair! I wish I could do that.

    I really love that pattern. I might have to try it sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you cut your own hair off like that...I would never have the nerve to do it. Course mine is short anyway!

    Okay, I must be a bit slow this morning, but I can't find the pattern for the Orphan Annie afghan on TGB's blog.... is it available?? I absolutely love the one you made last year, can't wait to see how this one turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The new afghan is a beauty!

    As for the butt-ugly ghan?....I agree with those who suggest changing the white, or removing it altogether with no border beyond the blue/brown. There's always a charity who will welcome it if you still absolutely hate it months from now! You do great work, so don't be down on yourself.

    You've got some nads, cutting your own hair! That would scare me to death! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pammy Sue, you are so brave!! I don't think I'd have the guts to cut my own hair but I do think it would be oh so liberating!! Maybe one of these days....

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice to know that your friends are enjoying the afghan you lovingly made for them. Yea for shorter hair. I am giving serious consideration to getting my hair cut like Jamie Lee Curtis, and letting it grow in with the natural color. Which is now WHITE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go! I feel so liberated after I get a haircut! I keep mine really short. Love the afghan. It is an easy pattern. I love the ones that you don't have to keep referring to the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm relieved that we didn't hear the buzz of shears going on in your fit of hair removal. I bet it looks great! Get a pic posted so we can see. You are VERY brave to chop at your own hair. The last time I did that I looked like a -- well, I don't know what -- but it wasn't a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a gorgeous afghan.. can't wait to see what the new one is looking like. I want to see your new hair, as I thought the last photo of it was GORgeous! Funny, as I was laying in bed this morning, thinking too much.. and thought maybe I'm too old for my longer hair and maybe I should cut it short.. but I think I'm too chicken.
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That really is a pretty pattern and I too enjoy repetitive crochet whilst watching a movie or just sitting outside enjoying nature and the dog.

    I do that too - when ever the mood strikes me, I cut my hair off. I just pull it back into a pony tail and cut off a piece...then with a second mirror, I straighten out the back and it's all done and I've saved $20 or $30...besides, if I really mess up very badly, my neighbor across the street worked as a hair dresser all her life and she could fix me right up...so I have a security hair dresser on stand by ;-) I want to see you with your new hair cut!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I started the same one last weekend but am only using two colors for my daughter. She loved the one on Tea Cup Lane. I'll have to yake some pics and post on Ravelry. When I am done with this one I want to do one with all different colors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man.....you weren't kidding we you. I can't wait to see it for real. Show and tell please.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks like a really fun pattern to work with. I couldn't find a link to the actual pattern on the Garden Bell's blog. Is it free or for sale online somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pammy sue,

    Love the blanket, I want to try that one. So colorful. Awhile back you had mentioned about a product for your face to help with your makeup it was unusual one you would not think to use. I cannot find the post can you tell me what the product was I think I need to try it. I have such a red face at the end of the day! Thanks so much....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥