Saturday, August 20, 2011

Saturday Chicken Bog

I’ve made Paula Deen’s Chicken Bog recipe at least eight times over the past 3-4 years.  My husband loves it.  I just finished making a pot of it and am eating some as I type this.  YUM!  I used jalapeno sausage this time.  I know he can smell in there while he’s sleeping.  He’ll come stumbling in here in a bit with his nose in the air.

DSCF4276

Sorry about the dark picture.

Click for a larger view.

Below is Paula’s recipe with the ingredients cut down to a reasonable amount if you are not feeding a crowd and using boneless chicken.  If you are feeding a crowd, see her recipe measurements HERE.

Chicken Bog

1-lb boneless chicken thighs

1-lb smoked sausage (jalapeno is great if you like spicy)

1 Cup Chopped Onion

1 tsp Cayenne Pepper

2 tsp Lawry’s Seasoned Salt

2 Bay Leaves

4 Cups Water

1/2 cup butter

1 1/2 Cup Long-grain Rice

Slice the sausage into 1/2-inch pieces.  In a stockpot, combine the chicken, sausage, onion, butter, and seasonings.  Add the water, bring to a boil, cover, and cook at a low boil for 40 minutes.  Remove the chicken from the pot and let cool slightly.  Dice the meat discarding the skin.  Add the rice to the pot and bring to a boil, stirring well.  Boil for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the rice is done.  Remove the bay leave, and return the chicken to the pot.  Taste and adjust seasonings.  (I usually have to add more Lawry’s to make it salty enough for my taste.)

10 comments:

  1. Yum, another good recipe to try. I am going to make that apple cake either today or tomorrow.. can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good... Thanks for the share..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm...I never even heard of chicken bog. I thought you had left out the "L" by mistake when I saw the name of your post! ^_^ It looks like a good recipe though! That Paula knows how to 'throw down' in the kitchen!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, that sounds divine.. might have to try that! I'll post the yakisoba recipe soon.
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might have to stop reading your blog - I'm putting too much weight on :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks really good--we love spicy food! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Giving it a try tonight. I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made it, ate it and enjoyed it. My husband thought it was a bit too buttery so next time I might cut the amount of butter. I disagree with him though it's delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh. Yum. I would love to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds tasty and hardy! No wonder hubby will come and get it any minute ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥