Sunday, August 14, 2011

Pumpkin Pie

Things have been impossibly boring around here lately.  That’s why I haven’t posted.  I just haven’t been doing ANYTHING to speak of.  I have been working so I guess that counts, but that is not blog material.

The Captain went out and bought a pumpkin pie the other day at a grocery store.  He usually does this about once a year, and every time he does, we end up throwing most of it away.  Store-bought pumpkin pies just do not taste the same as home-made.  Don’t do it people!  Just don’t eat any at all if you’re going to buy it.  They have way too much sugar and spices, and a much lighter hand with those ingredients is required.  My mother taught me how to make perfect pumpkin pie.

So he promptly threw the pie away after he tried it and deemed it inedible, and I got out my pumpkin pie fixins and made one for him.  He didn’t want any crust so I just made the filling and baked it in a casserole dish.  This time I placed it in a hot-water bath to bake it, but I don’t usually do that.  It didn’t seem to make any difference at all so I won’t be doing that again.  It’s an unnecessary step and you can skip it.

Pammy Sue’s Pumpkin Pie

(Or Pudding)

DSCF4190

15-oz plain canned pumpkin

12-oz can evaporated milk

1/2 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp ground ginger

1/4 tsp freshly-grated nutmeg

1/2 tsp salt

9-inch unbaked pie shell (for pie)

For Pie:  Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Mix pumpkin, sugar, and eggs with an electric mixer until well combined; about one minute.  Add milk and spices and mix well.  Pour into an unbaked pie shell or greased casserole dish (cooking spray is fine).  Bake pie for 15 minutes at 425 degrees.  Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for 45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool for 2 hours on a rack.  Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.  Serve with whipped cream.

For Pudding:  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Follow above mixing instructions.  Bake uncovered in a greased, 8” x 10” or 9” x 9” casserole dish for 45 minutes or until center is set.  Cool on a rack for two hours and then refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.  Top with whipped cream, sprinkle with a little cinnamon, and serve.

blue flowers divider

It was waiting for him in the fridge when he got home from work this morning at 4:00 AM.  This note was waiting for me by the coffee pot when I got up this morning:

DSCF4192

He loves me…

And he does love his pumpkin pie.

Half of it was missing.

No wonder he was sick.

polls_cat_i_barf_3437_384303_answer_3_xlarge

blue flowers divider

I’ll be looking for some excitement around here.

You’ll be the first to know.

Later, Taters

small_heart

18 comments:

  1. Your Pumpkin Pie sounds great... I don't eat crust either...

    I Just made a batch of Pumpkin Spice Jam/Butter yesterday.... I just need to find the perfect bread to have it on... Maybe sourdough? English Muffins?

    What are you making?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The filling on pies is usually the best part for me anyway! :-)) Unless it's baked in a graham cracker crust. But either way, I'm not as much of a pumpkin pie fan as I am of sweet potato pie. And YES! There is a difference! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!! My husband eats a quarter of a pumpkin pie for breakfast every morning during Thanksgiving weekend. I honestly don't know how he does it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had pumpkin pie for years... With all the pumpkin we have I should make one :))
    Thanks for your recipe :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pammy Sue ... I always enjoy your posts - even when you say you've got nothing to say !! I'm not a pumpkin lover but my daughter and SIL like it so I'll be sure to pass on your recipe. Hope you have an exciting week. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy. I haven't tasted one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love pumpkin pie. Every Thanksgiving we all overdose on it and say that we should make it more during the year and then we wouldn't nearly kill ourselves on it once a year.

    It sounds yummy and I love he note he left you. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummie homemade pumpkin pie!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness my husband does exactly the same thing, if i make something really luscious, he pigs out big time then gets rid an half hr later, gross!!
    Have never had pumpkin pie so will have to try your recipe :D
    Have a great week Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds positively yummy will have to try it...Not to many peeps like pumkin pie but everyone wants a piece at thanksgiving ..so will do a trial run first...lol. Have a great Monday..Hugs Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum. Pumpkin pie always reminds me of fall. But now I just might have to make one now! :)

    Hope something thrilling happens to you today. Pull out that hook and yarn, I bet you'll think of something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hear ya....gee, seems like we both get the ho hum drums at the same time. I have been working on a couple of things but nothing to write home about until they are done. I have started a thingy...with nylon thread, yarn...I guess you'd call it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Homemade sounds great but if you're in a rush- try Walmart's bakery. Theirs is usually better than any homemade because I usually find most peoples' recipes too strong too. Theirs is really light and nice flavor. My grandmother used to make a great one but she can't cook anymore at 92 so....

    Your recipe sounds great- may try it if I ever get time. Key word is TIME.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ditto around here too.... Just a little too much manual labor for me to keep up with. Besides, who wants pictures of me washing windows.

    I can feel the fall in the air too. Boy, do I want a slice of that pie right about now. Must have dinner first...ooooops, I have nothing ready and it's already 5pm. The phone just rang and guess who woke me up and is on his way. Better run.

    Can't wait to see what you are up too.

    Kate xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  15. This must be one of those places our tastes differ. I always follow the recipe on the can of pumpkin because I LOVE all those spices. Mom's pumpkin pie always tastes kind of bland to me...but don't tell her that.
    Ken's note is cute. I can just imagine how much he ate...BUT WAIT!
    There's no chocolate in it. What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your pumpkin "pie" looks delicious! We love pumpkin pie too. I use Libby's...add lots of spices (we like) and use ready made pie crust. I must have pie crust...it's my favorite part of any pie. At New Year's I make both pumpkin and our family chocolate pies. Now you have made me very hungry. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So delicious. I have just gotten into baking, and cant wait to try this out...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥