Friday, August 05, 2011

Friday Crochet & Food

DSCF4150

Here’s a little peek-a-boo at what I’m going with on the squares.  Needs blocking, but I like it.

DSCF4151

The green doesn’t show up very well in this picture.  The first picture shows the true color of it.

****************

DSCF4136 I made a yummy 7-Layer Dip yesterday…

DSCF4148

And a Fried Okra Salad.

It is so freakin’ good.

I could not stop eating the fried okra right after I made it.  I was afraid I’d eat it all up before I could make this salad.  Here’s how you do it.

Rinse your okra with water leaving it wet.  Cut it up, discarding the head and the tail, and place it in a bowl.  Throw in a couple of handfuls of cornmeal and toss to coat the okra.  Heat up some oil in a skillet.  Dump in the okra and fry it until it’s browned, stirring occasionally.  This only takes about five minutes.  Drain on paper towels.  Mixed your cooled okra with cut up tomatoes, chopped green onion, and salt.

 

Thank you to my sweet Aunt Naomi for the recipe! 

H A P P Y   F R I D A Y

Have a great weekend.

14 comments:

  1. OOO love the square! That dip looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this new pattern your colors are really pretty love it. I think I may try this to and love the ease of the pattern. You always come up with something unique love seeing new patterns. Take care friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your square pattern. Very pretty! This is something I think I'm going to do for my next project. Oh, and I now have a craving for seven layer dip. Yum! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I like the green. It makes the red and orange pop. It sort of looks like a zinna garden. Hey, there's your name...he-he...

    So, here's the deal. Being from the "north" Okra, well, let's just say I have never, ever tried. But, I'm up for anything. The dip, well.....that's a standard. Both, look perfect for your hot, hot weather.

    Off to get something posted. Will check in later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the square colos! :)

    Yum and then Yum again on the fried okra salad. If you have any of that okra left, you can get a little cup of ranch dressing and use it as a dip...OMGosh is that stuff good. It's like crack for foodies. Of course I feel the same way about corn nuggest and ranch dressing, too....fried squash and ranch dressing...hmmmm I think I am seeing a trend here. :)

    Hope you have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm! Fried okra (okree in SC)! I haven't had any fresh okra this year. I like to roll mine in flour instead of cornmeal and not fry it until it is hard but soft and slimy! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The green was a great choice ... it looks beautiful. And yay, new recipes to try... woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo! I love fried okra. So the salad looks like it would be good too!...And the squares are coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the green! I was expecting orange, and you shocked us all again. We love fried okra around here, its about the only green thing I can get the girls to eat without complaining. This summer I have tried fried squash for the first time and LOVE it too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay....I'm coming over to your house right now and eat some of that fried okra salad and 7-layer dip! Yum! I'm so hungry right now.

    Your crochet looks cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fried okra.. memories.. we went to this chicken joint in Oklahoma that we'd seen on "Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives" called Eischen's Bar in Okarche last August while we were there for a family reunion in Watonga - and they had fried okra that was yummmmy!! And grrreat chicken!

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fried Okra Salad? You are SO TEXAN! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. That little dish you have there, my friend & I use to call that 7 layers of sin! We would make this to go with our margaritas! Love your squares!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes I have to agree the green certainly goes well in your crochet square :))
    Can't wait for summer to have all those lovely greens and dips again :))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥