Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Cooking for Control

I have been baking and cooking myself silly the past two days.  It makes me feel better.  I wonder why that is?  I have been really bossy today too.  I think both things are because I felt so out of control with all the work stuff.  I feel more in control when I can boss everybody around, and I can bake and cook and make things that I know will turn out well. 

Dr. Freud?  Anybody?

Yes, I’m sure I’m right.  Everyone sit down immediately and say I’m right.  Do it now.  See?  I’m Miss Bossy Panties today.

Okay, enough silliness…

DSCF4226

Pulled Pork on Hawaiian Rolls

Super-delicious and Super-easy!

Apricot Pulled Pork

1 cup apricot preserves

4 Tbsp cider vinegar

1 large sliced onion

3-lb pork shoulder roast

2 tsp cumin

1 tsp salt & pepper to taste

Place apricot preserves in bottom of crock pot with vinegar and whisk until well combined.  Slice onion and place on top of apricot mixture.  Rub pork roast with cumin, salt & pepper.  Place in crock pot on top of onion.  Do not add water or any other liquid.  Roast will make its own liquid.  Cover and cook on high 6 hours or on low 9 hours (approximately).  Remove roast from crock and place it in a 9 x 13 casserole dish.  Pull it (shred it) using two forks.  Meat should fall apart easily.  Remove onions from crock with a slotted spoon and place in the dish with the meat.  Ladle remaining juice and bits of apricot over the meat for moisture when reheating.  (Just enough to cover the bottom of the pan.)  Serve with BBQ sauce on Hawaiian Rolls.  Place foil over casserole and refrigerate.  Reheat in microwave or bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes.

DSCF4224

Shirazi Salad

Delish!  Recipe HERE.

(I used cilantro instead of mint)

(And TWO jalapenos)

DSCF4209

DSCF4206

The jalapenos do not make it hot if you remove the seeds and everything from the inside before chopping, but they do add good flavor.

DSCF4210

I used a LOT of cilantro!

funny people divider

I have an Apple Cake in the oven right now…

BYE!

9 comments:

  1. I'll be there in 10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't care on I-O-TA that Scott doesn't like pork. I'm making this one and I'm making it soon. Every single item is making my mouth water now. That salad is just the icing on the cake....ooops that's right it's still in the oven. Make sure to show us all. By the way, your pictures are looking great lately. I think you've been playing with picnik.

    Hope work is not too much for you lately and there is a breeze in the air.

    Just got done making my T.J. Chicken Fajita Semi-Homemade casserole. Thanks goodness there was some queso left for a few chips for lunch today.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bossy pants...hmmmm, I resemble that remark...many days. Hello, I'm Annette and I'm a control freak. And when any of my ducks are not in order it's NOT pretty! And I'm the ONLY one that knows how to do it and do it correctly! Your foods are making my mouth water too! Especially that salad! But I WILL be revisiting to grab that pulled pork recipe for the slow cooker. Yummmmmm! I didn't like Apricot as a younger person, but I'm drawn to it now. Must be an acquired taste...my grandmother always loved apricot anything...and orange marmalade. I could never tolerate that on my toast as a wee one...and that's what she ALWAYS served on English Muffins for breakfast when I stayed the night with her! P.S...I kinda like the stuff now. Hope you feel better soon and that work doesn't get the better of you...it can do that...and it SUCKETH! Annette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you cut that bossy-ness out right this minute Missy!!... ^_^ I've been known to have my moments of bossy-ness too. So I guess you're allowed...By the way, no pie for us?! O_0

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I come for dinner? Pretty please! We just had delicious hot dogs on the grill and here I am drooling over your meal. LOL!
    And, yes, you are right...Pammy Sue is always RIGHT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pam, Your food looks so yummy and I was starving all afternoon working and am now eating leftover seafood salad from yesterday :( but I really need apple cake and that salad...well, I want the pork on buns, too. So do enjoy a slice on me!!! I've been absent I know and so busy but I'll explain in a post soon what I've been up to. Pretty roses ya got there miss bossy pants. Hugs and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your cooking always looks delish :) love the colours of summer,so fresh ..:))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you pop some of that in the post for me, ah sure i'll just copy your recipes, everything looks YUM :)
    Have a great day Mrs Bossy!
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥