Thursday, July 21, 2011

Tah-Dah! She’s Back.

It’s good to be home.  We just made a quick run over to Looziana again.  It was no place as exotic as the picture I left, but it was great fun nonetheless.

Okay, right to it…

DSCF3977

I cheated and made this pillowcase edging before we left.  I’m glad I saved it because my brain is still in vacation mode mush.  I gots nothin’!

So without further ado…

DSCF3974

First, I bought some pillowcases on etsy made from some fun fabric because I don’t sew.  I hate it, in fact.  I didn’t have any DK or sport weight so I used #3 thread I had.  I will use a heavier yarn next time.

DSCF3961

DSCF3963

The two pictures above are the blanket stitch, which is how you start after you do your measuring and marking. (More on that in the tutorial link below)

DSCF3964

Demonstration of the blanket stitch.  It took me a few tries to get this right.  I told you I’m not a sewer.  You have to hold the thread in place with you fingers to make it look right…and keep holding it while you pull the needle all the way through.  Your first stitch will look wonky until you get all the way around back to it when you’re finished.  Things will start looking like my pictures after the second stitch.

DSCF3965

The tutorial says to use a piece of yarn 15 times the width of the pillowcase, but that is just insane!  Take my advice and use a manageable length, cut it when you run out, thread your needle with new yarn, tie it on where you left off (leaving small tails but enough to crochet over when you do the next round…see above).  This worked great for me and you cannot see where you joined when you’re finished.

DSCF3966 The next round is a round of sc placing 3 sc between each blanket stitch and around the previous round of thread.

DSCF3968Then your last round which is crocheting the shells. 

DSCF3971

Tah-Dah!

You’re Done.

This was a lot of fun to do for me.  I can’t wait to make another one in yarn this time.

I used the tutorials here:

On The Edge Tutorials

They are all listed in her right sidebar.  If you don’t want to make your own pillowcases, buy them all ready made and skip to the third tutorial.

Here’s the print on my next pillowcase:

DSCF3958

Pretty cute, eh?

I got a matching pair.

These will most likely go in my shop.

I could not find any vintage-looking flowery ones like I wanted so I just got these colorful ones instead.  I’m sure I’ll be doing lots more so I’ll keep an eye out for the vintage ones.

I hope you enjoyed my pillowcase post.

I’m so happy to be home.  We had a blast and it’s nice to get away, but it’s also very nice to get back to my comfy home.

Until tomorrow…

DSCF3979

XOXO

13 comments:

  1. Glad you are back... I miss your posts when you're not around. Love the pillowcase edging... I do that on store-bought baby blankets when I need a quick gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picture post . . . this is the method I use on my kitchen towels to add the hanger-thing-ies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, that's adorable! I have some tutes saved on doing this, and have been dying to try it out. I LOVE the look of the edging on vintage pillows!!! You have given me the boost. You did a perfect blanket stitch, for a non sewer!!!
    How was Looziana? What city? We love Nawlins'!!!! Stay cool, I here it is scorching out there!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home.... What....are you reading my mind. I have sooooooooo been wanting to do these for a while. I just have to find the pillow cases I want to use. Great pictures and TUT by the way.

    Today is the worst-est ever....

    Melting...and feeling sick to my tummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad you're back...I love this idea of edging pillow cases and thank you for showing how easy the blanket stitch is, I am always in such a hurry that I sometimes do not get the stitch as nice as yours. And your pillow cases are so cute...It gives me a great idea of what to do with all this cut fabric I had purchased to make aprons, but don't feel like making anymore. These would make such great Christmas gifts....can't wait to see more... Debb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back! Where did you go in Louisisana? We lived there for 5 years while hubby flew a helicopter for a company that served the oil rig industry. We lived in Lafayette, and I *LOVE* New Orleans. I adore you pillowcase edging.. I have some from my grandmother and there is nothing more precious than lace edging that you know someone made with love.
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back, glad you had a good break :D.
    Love the pillowcases, really, really cute fabrics & the edging is lovely!!
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, very interesting... you should make a video demonstrating this, and post it. I admire the patience y'all have for this. It would have driven me boinkers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How clever is that? Hmmmm, blanket stitch...it looks like that requires some patience and fiddling. With a needle in my hand, I just don't have the patience for fiddling. Now, mind you, with a crochet hook...I'm there! But with a needle? Not so much. But I love what YOU did! And I'm crazy about that pillowcase on deck for the next edging! What an adorable pattern! Fun stuff! I bet it will sell quickly in your shop! Welcome back...it's good to go...but always wonderful to get home to your own pillow! Annette

    ReplyDelete
  10. The edging is a winner.. clever girl :))
    Great to have you back:))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome home Pammy Sue! Your pillow cases look like a fun project. I like the colorful prints you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pam!

    Glad you had fun!

    Just one BIG question... Where did you a needle big enough to handle yarn...yet sharp enough to pirce through cloth??? I can't find any...

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Howdieeee girl! Glad to be reading ya again! You don't call yourself a sewer but you got 'em all spaced so nicely. Love that red edging, Pam. It really makes the pillow case special and not just run of the mill; it adds that extra nice touch.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥