Sunday, June 12, 2011

4AM Ripple

DSCF3441

 

I was awake at 4:00 this morning and couldn’t go back to sleep.  I got up and got a glass of milk, grabbed some yarn and a crochet pattern that was given to me by a lady on Ravelry, and started hooking this ripple.  It’s a baby size afghan as written.  Mine is 34 inches wide using worsted-weight yarn and a size I (5.5mm) hook.  I’m using yarn from my stash.  Lord knows I need to use it.  It’s a hodgepodge of brands, some all cotton and some all acrylic.  I’m liking the color scheme.

This pattern goes really quickly.  You can see how much I did in 2 hours above.  Yes, I was awake until 6:30!  That’s 2 hours of sleep I’ll never get back.  WAH.

I’ll share the pattern with y’all since the lady that gave it to me said it came from a friend of hers.  No copyrights attached, although I’m sure there are some out there like it.  It’s nothing new.  It didn’t even have a name so I’m calling it “4AM Ripple.”  Below is a picture of her afghan.  I just copied and pasted the pattern as she wrote it:

5759941734_15a7abc59c_z

4AM Ripple

Chain 118  (With worsted-weight yarn and I hook, this makes it 34 inches wide)
First Row: DC in third ch from hook (your two ch count as 1 DC)
DC in next 5 chs (total of 7 DC including the first 2 chs)
*In next ch, DC CH1 DC (this is the peak)
DC in next 7 Chs
Skip the next 2 Chs
DC in next 7 Chs*
Repeat from * until you make your last Peak
After you make the last peak, DC in next 6 Chs, skip the next ch, DC in last stitch for a total of 7.

Next Row:  Ch 2, Turn
Skip a stitch, DC in next 6 stitches
Then (DC, CH 1, DC) in CH-1 stitch
Repeat the pattern like First Row.
After you make the last peak, DC in next 6 stitches, skip one stitch, DC in last stitch, ch 2, turn, and repeat Row 2 until blanket is length you want it.

 

I’m sure I will add an edging to mine.  Looks like she just left hers as is.  A few rows of sc all around will straighten out those wavy edges at the top and bottom, and then you can add whatever kind of border you want.

If you want to ripple along with me, please do!  Let me know and post pics of your progress on your blog if you have one.  I will be rippling all afternoon today while watching the race.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pattern. You must have had the hook smokin' to get all of that done in 2.5 hours! I like the color scheme also. The way you are going you will be finished this evening or early tomorrow. :) I started a new baby blanket also, check it out if you get a sec. OH, I loved that you put pictures of yourself up. The makeup looks great. I don't have the nerve to post ones of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pammy Sue, love the colors in your ripple.. I'm using the citrus colored yarn I got in my swap and starting the "neat ripple" pattern.. got 3 rows in and realized it is 4 DCs between the peak and valley, and I was doing 3 DCs. Hmm...

    Love your makeup and seeing you close up. I actually enjoy seeing the "real you" as it's more like we're real friends in real life!

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty ripple you are working on Pammy Sue. Hope you are having a great weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a pretty afghan. I love ripple afghans, they go so quickly. This is very similar to the pattern I use, except I do nine stitches, and instead of the dc, ch 1, dc, I do three dc. Pretty much looks the same. I'm anxious to see what you do for a border, I'm always looking for a nice border for my ripples, and haven't come up with something I love yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see your starting peaks curled just like mine did for Anistyn's blanket. The ending peaks didn't do that. I probably should have put a border around it to flatten them out.

    Where did you find your new theme? I love it. Love the blues and browns. I'll have to try to check out Picasa too. I love that header. Hope your day is good! Gonna try to post later but I have been so busy and haven't even looked at what's in store for me today yet. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the colors PS. I started a ripple afghan a while back. I stopped working on it for awhile because my dog peed on the bag and the white yarn. I had to was it all out, then detangle it, then wind it back up. After all that, I was tired of it.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning blanket you've got started there. I really love that color combination. Some of my favorite colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you have a glass of water near you at all times just in case your yarn goes up in flames for how fast you can make those fab 'ghans of yours! Such pretty colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this pattern! It would work great for some of those variegated yarns I have around. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pammy,

    I couldlnt find a way to contact you.... could you tell me how much yarn you used (approx) for the 4am ripple?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥