Monday, May 23, 2011

Dish Mat Pattern

Dish Mat

DSCF3313

I’ve made many of these dish mats over the years.  I use one every day on my counter.  They get so much use that I need to make new ones every so often.  I don’t think I’ve made a new one in at least a year or more.  The top photo shows the true colors I used, and the bottom photo lets you see the texture of the stitches.  This is one of my favorite stitches, and a solid color looks really nice or you can change colors as desired.  Throw it in the washing machine now and then to freshen it up.  If using acrylic, you can dry it for just a few minutes in the dryer and lay it flat to dry completely.

Crocheted Dish Mat

Yarn:  I have always used 100% acrylic yarn, but you can use cotton or whatever you want. I like acrylic because it dries fast and so far hasn’t molded or started smelling like cotton does.

Hook:  K

The below starting chain makes a dish mat that is approximately 26 inches long.  If you want a longer mat, just chain any odd number of stitches.

Ch 83

Row 1:  Sc in second ch from hook and in each ch across to end.  Ch 3; turn.

Row 2:  Sc in next st (not the same st as ch 3), (dc in next st, sc in next st) across, ending with sc in last st.  Ch 3; turn.

Row 3:  Sc in first dc from previous row, (dc in next sc, sc in next dc) across.  Ch 3; turn.

Repeat Row 3 until the mat is as wide as you want it.

Last Row:  Sc in each stitch across.

Edge as desired or leave it as is.  (I just did sc all around in the one pictured above.)

 

These make a great little gift.  You could add a couple of dish cloths or scrubbies or dish towels for a nice little package.

Pattern published on Ravelry.

19 comments:

Reality Jayne said...

PS....I really like those colors. What clothes project is next????...

Pammy Sue said...

Another baby dress, of course! I'm making another dish mat first that I started last night.

I scrapped the Fisherman's Wife Shawl. I hate crocheting the stitch pattern in it and it's SLOW as molasses.

Heather - The Good Life said...

Very pretty Pammy Sue and I like your use of colors in your pattern. Hope you have a great start to your week. :-)

Cris said...

Love it - I will have to do up a few sets along with towel toppers and dishcloths :)

Debbie said...

This dish mat is great. Love the colors you used and the texture. Will have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

by Teresa said...

That is a great idea.. I'm forever laying out a hand towel to lay wet "hand wash" dishes on. I would use cotton though, as it seems like acrylic wouldn't absorb the water from the dishes. Love the idea!!

((hugs)), Teresa :-)

The Garden Bell said...

This is very cute and useful too. Have to go and check out my stash. Where do you find the time, my friend. It's 230pm and I'm just now getting the chores done and thinking about sitting down for a sec.

Joce said...

I love the colors. I will have to make one or two or more... lol Thank you for posting the pattern.

Barbara Bradford said...

Very Cute... I like the acrylic idea... everything I crochet in Peaches & Creme is so faded, it's embarrassing to put out.

Paula said...

Oh, I like-e-e-e-e-e-e-e!

NancyLee said...

Oh my gosh what a great idea thank you, thank you I have a very small area and I am always running out of room in my drying rack when all the kids come over I am making one or more of these right away Hey thanks again can you tell I am excited!!!!Nancy

pattas said...

Very creative Pammy Sue, the colours are great, somehow I will have to try and make one... on my list of to do's..
Thanks for the pattern and your comment on my blog..
Happy crocheting :))

Sara said...

Hi Pammy Sue. I would love to feature your dish mat pattern. Linking up tomorrow at Tangled Happy. Thanks so much for asking. :)

Scribe said...

That is quite neat... would look adorable with a matching set my new daisy dish cloths!

Kris said...

Love this! And your previous post too!!!

lovestitch said...

Oh you are awesome! Those dish mats look so beautiful!!! Thanks so much for sharing the pattern! Have a great week! x

Hookin It With Mr. Lick Lick said...

Wish I had room for one. I have the smallest kitchen. No counter space for anything else. I need a new house....lol.

theresasthisnthat said...

My daughter just graduated from High School & will be going off to college this Fall. I think I will make her one for her dorm kitchen in her school's colors to set on the counter since she won't have a dishwasher. Gasp! :)

Lindy said...

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern. I have a son and daughter who are on their own. I have given them both ones that I bought at Costco, but I will love giving them one that is colorful and made by me!