Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Suzie Homemaker Here

I’ve got a 3-lb roast, potatoes, carrots, and onions going on top of the stove.  Man, that roast smells heavenly already!  I seasoned it with garlic powder, salt & pepper, and browned it up really good in a little olive oil before I covered it with a little water, added a can of Cream of Celery soup (I didn’t have any mushroom soup), three beef bouillon cubes, one packet of onion gravy mix, and one packet of brown gravy mix.  I’m going to wait a couple of hours before putting the carrots and potatoes in.  I don’t think they’ll need the whole time to get done.  It should all be ready in four or five hours I think.

Roast

That was my grandmother’s Dutch oven that I’m making it in.  I love to think about her when I cook.

Do y’all ever eat Campbell’s Cream of Celery soup?  It’s so good.  You should try it.  I like to float a saltine cracker on top and break it up with my spoon and eat it with the soup.  Keep adding saltines one-by-one and eating them with the soup until it’s all gone.  YUM.  Good comfort food.  Oh, and another thing…make it with milk instead of water.

*********************

I have finished making the five additional squares and have them sewn to the blanket.  I managed to get two rounds of the edging done last night before I had to stop.  I hope to finish her up this afternoon.  I have six more rounds to go.  Yep, it’s a wide border.  I’ll be back later today or this evening with the Grand Ta-Dah!  I’ll be thinking of a name for her while finishing it up.

Bye for now…

15 comments:

  1. I love your afghan the colors just work so well together it is delightful to look at just looks so comfy. Your roast sounds fantastic I can just imagine the aroma coming from the cooking yummy for sure. Take care my friend be well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your roast sounds delicious. I made one the other day and tonight it's left-overs made into beef burritos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy, you're being domestic today! :-) I bet your house did smell good.. how did it turn out? My mom used a "battered aluminum" oval pan like that the whole time I was growing up. Your blanket is stunning.

    Hugs from Oregon, USA -- Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never been a fan of the cream of celery....but i do indeed ...enjoy a dutch oven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your potroast sounds great. I usually do mine in the crockpot so I don't have to be home the whole time it's cooking. I didn't know you had Granny's dutch oven. Cool!

    I just had cream of tomato/basil soup and I always crush a bunch of saltines up in it. Yum! Funny how we don't want to let go of those childhood habits sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never done a roast on my oven top. Always in the oven. I'll have to try that. I have my grandmother's roaster as well and I use it all the time. Sweet memories, huh?

    Hugs,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmm, pot roast sounds wonderful. Your blanket is amazing. Very beautiful. Can't wait to see the edging and it finished. I want one! Have to go back and see if the pattern link is there (I hope!). Seems I've gotten behind on my blog reading ... have a great night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never tried a pot roast on the stove top until I bought my cast iron pot. I love using it to cook roasts. I usually use French onion soup to cook them in, not cream of mushroom or celery. Although I do use the Campbell soups for bases in other dishes.
    Your dinner sounds like it will be absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be stopping by for leftovers tomorrow! Can't wait to see your blankie in all it's wide bordered goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pammy,

    can't wait to see the afghan when it's finished. What you've got so far looks great! Roast sounds good... haven't fixed one in a while. Good luck getting the 'ghan finshed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm I can smell it over here, LOl. Yes I like celery soup and its even Campbells..
    Never thought of breaking up crackers to put in it though ..
    Can't wait to see the rug :))

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can almost smell it!
    I too have several pots, and kitchen tools that belonged to my family. I think of them when using as well. My roaster is the same my Grandma used for all our Thanksgivings & Christmas dinners as a child. I always think about her when using it. Must be at least 60 years old. Its ugly and banged up pretty bad, but I dont care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well hello Suzy. My email screen name is Szyhmkr....Suzy Homemaker. My friends always called me that in high school because I loved all things domestic!
    I too love to use things that belonged to my grandparents. I have a lot of family treasures. Dinner sounds soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. there's nothing better than a good roast!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL - all I could think is "where did Pammy Sue get that chicken potholder?"

    Is that your design? It's so cute sitting on your stove!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥