Friday, January 14, 2011

Primarily RED Granny

DSCF2522

I spent my evening yesterday on YouTube watching Part 1 and 2 of THIS VIDEO to learn how to Join-As-You-Go with my granny squares.  Can you believe I’ve never done it and didn’t know how?  Well, now I do!  Isn’t YouTube wonderful?  I’m doing it slightly different than her because I have one chain between each of my granny groups and two in the corners, but other than that, it’s the same.  It’s definitely not faster than whip-stitching or crocheting them together, or maybe it will be once I get going?  I don’t know.  I’m glad I know how now.  I’ll make my decision as to whether I like it or not when the blanket is finished and I see how it looks.

I feel like I’m at the point of no return on crocheting this blanket, otherwise I would scrap it and make THIS ONE.  She’s a beauty, and I’ve fallen in love with her.  If I’m not too sick of squares by the time I’m finished with this one, I might just make it.  I might be really sick of RED by then though.  They really look completely different even though they both have a lot of RED.

DSCF2525

The free pattern is called:

Primarily Country Afghan at

www.free-crochet.com (must register)

I’m using a size H crochet hook and H.L. ILT Y in

RED, BANANA, and MEDIUM BLUE.

I’m changing the colors around because I wanted it predominantly RED, and I’m only making two different motifs.  I’ll also be making a different, more elaborate border, and I can’t wait!

**************************

Tah-tah!

14 comments:

  1. I never join my granny's this way thank you sharing the link I have to try this it looks simple enough to do. I had always sewn mine I will have to try this. Love your afghan colors too. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS! DON'T YOU DARE SCRAP IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty, I've never tried the join-as-you go method. I usually slip stitch or whip stitch things together. The colors you chose look nice together. Thanks for the inspiration from your post last night with your fireplace and baking. I really enjoyed your post. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post Pammy Sue...very informative... : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. See you found something to do with your squares!

    Have a good weekend.

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love join-as-you-go and use it for all my motif blankets. It gives me an idea of size as I go and I find it a lot easier than sewing them together later. Won't use anything else now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Before I finish reading I have to say this . . wthe next time you make Grannies, you will LOVE the fact that yyou can join them together as you go . . . it makes the afghan go together SO QUICKLY!

    Since I learned to do it I have yet to join Grannies any other way.

    The red you used makes the other colors look so good . . I'll bet this will end up being one of your favorite afghans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweeeeeeeeeeeet... I'm really liken' the looks of this one. Now, don't you quit....he-he... I would have thought that you had the whole join as you go done already. I've watched the vids, but still having trouble with it, must be a leftie thing for me, or I'm just dense.

    Off to get the nails done finally. Wow. Clean house and nails all in one day. Then home to take a tub with my new salts Kris recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this. I love red anyway, I'm sure there is way too much red in my house. LOL

    I can't get the hang of joining as you go. It just doesn't look right when I do it. I'm sure it's operator error, and I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually, but I haven't yet.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also love the red in this one.. can't wait for a pic of the finished piece... I haven't tried granny's cause I am really bad at doing anything in a circle...lol...Hugs from South Texas...Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey....that is so pretty! I love red and yellow together!!!!! LOVE it! Keep going girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Pammy Sue: This afghan is so pretty..Thanks for the link..I also copied the other afghan pattern quite a while ago from the sunroom. She has a great picture of a purple and yellow afghan..I just adore that one..Keep up the good work, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the colors, especially the red. I always use the join as you go too. I hate sewing squares together.
    Enjoy your weekend, I am hoping to get some hooking time in too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for this link Pammy and for sharing your pics. I think the red goes great witht hose colors. I may have to put that on the list of 10001 things to crochet. I need to watch that video as I hate joining squares otherwise. Thanks for showing me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥