Thursday, January 13, 2011

Peanut Butter-Chocolate Sheet Cake

DSCF2506

“Angel of Light”

I adore this little picture I found at the antique mall for $8.  (Yes, I go there a lot.  I love it.)  I wish I could find more of them.  That picture is painted (or printed or etched) on glass.  If I put my hand behind it, you could see it.  This picture is by artist Lena Liu (I only know that because her signature is in the corner).  You can see more of her pictures HERE.  I have not found any others on glass like the one above, but I would love to!

 

DSCF2495

 

DSCF2504

Peanut Butter-Chocolate Cake

  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 (18.25 ounce) package butter cake mix
  • 2/3 cup water

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a sheet cake pan.  Combine 1/2 cup peanut butter and 1/2 cup butter or margarine. Cream until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at time, mixing well after each one. Add cake mix alternately with the water. Stir until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 18 minutes or until cake tests done.  Frost while warm but not hot.

  • To Make Chocolate Frosting: Combine 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup) or margarine, 2 Tbsp cocoa, and 1/3 cup heavy cream in a sauce pan over medium heat until butter is melted.  Remove from heat and beat in 1 lb of powdered sugar.  Add more cream if it’s too thick.  Apply to warm cake.  (You may want to double this frosting recipe if you like a lot of frosting.  This made a very thin layer, but I thought it was plenty for such a thin cake.)

     

    DSCF2499

    DSCF2509

    I saw what I thought was a very cool idea on Casey’s Blog yesterday.  Save all your bits of yarn tails in a glass jar or bowl.  They’re pretty to look at.  And in the spring, throw them out in the yard for the birds to use to make their nests!  Wouldn’t it be cool to see a nest with some of your yarn bits in it?  I’m curious how long it will take me to fill up this Ball jar.  I’d love to see all of your yarn bits in a jar.  Will you join me?  Thanks for the cool idea Casey! 

    More info on the project I’m working on later!

    Love you!  Bye.

     

    20 comments:

    1. Ohhh, that cake looks delish! And I love the yarn bits idea. I have the perfect jar too! And bird nerd that I am, I am all about helping our feathered friends. Pretty pic too!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Ball Jar, as in Ball Fruit Jars, as in Ball Brothers, as in Ball State University, Muncie Indiana, started with money from the ball Brothers who moved their glass factory to Muncie, Indiana because of the availability of gas?

      I must go to the basement to see if the MIL had any Ball jars. We Ball State University grads must keep the spirit of the Fight Cardinals alive.

      I have tried placing yarn out for the birds and the birds have left it . . maybe just the end pieces will work.

      ReplyDelete
    3. If I'm working at my desk, I keep mine in a clear apothecary jar but have been just throwing them away when it got full. If I'm not at my desk, I keep a sandwich baggie with my project so I can just toss them in there and when they are full then to the trash they go, baggie and all. The thought of them going into a bird's nest is totally awesome.

      ReplyDelete
    4. What a great idea! And thanks for the link to Casey's blog, too. I can't wait to see what you are working on. :)

      ReplyDelete
    5. Pretty picture. Love angels. If I bring myh own mug can I come over for some cake. Looks and sounds delicous.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Yum! My family would really enjoy this cake, I'll have to give it a try. Your picture with the fire going and your basket of yarn looks very cozy and inviting. Your angel of light picture is very pretty also. I'll have to check out the link. Have a great afternoon. :-)

      ReplyDelete
    7. Ooo cake is making me hungry! Love the glass jar for end of threads, must do that :)

      The Arrival, on Amazon NOW!
      www.damselinadirtydress.com

      ReplyDelete
    8. The cake looks sooo delicious, pity I am the only one who likes peanut butter. Just too much for me to eat by myself.

      Loving the colours combo in the squares

      ReplyDelete
    9. Guess I'll have to replace my gallon-size Ziplocs for a pretty jar or maybe a fishbowl! My scraps should probably help to house hundreds of birds. :)

      ReplyDelete
    10. The peanut butter cake looks yummy :)

      ReplyDelete
    11. What? You leave the house. How dare you?...he-he... Ok, if you must, but I'm guessing the Anti-que shop is right near H.L. Looking good on the squares. I know you want to see my last one from FL., sorry I have completely forgot about that one for the trunk.

      Been cleaning for the cleaning lady all day. Remind me why we do that. Off to bop around blogland some.

      ReplyDelete
    12. Man! I'm gonna get some yarn and cut it up just to see it in the bird's nests around here this spring and summer! I can just picture it.

      ReplyDelete
    13. That chocolate PB looks yummy!

      I have saved all my yarny ends from all projects for many many years now. I just like the colorfull jar look of them. I have a seperate one just for xmas colors too. I use the Ball Mason jars. Stuff them until absolutely not one more piece will fit! It looks really cool!

      BTW, we have a BLUE birds nest cleverly wrapped around frozen naked branches here in frozen upstate NY! Not blue yarn, but blue tarp pieces! The tarp shredded itself from the rotten winds here, and the birds made good use of it!

      :) Nancy

      ReplyDelete
    14. Wow, that's a cool idea, I'm in. Love the pic and the cake. At first I thought that was a cake you had purchased with the pic on it. They are doing amazing things with cakes these days. I'm hungry now, bye!

      ReplyDelete
    15. Oh i can smell that yumy cake over here, heaven :))
      An interesting painting on glass, and only $8.00.. Bargain :))
      As for keeping my yarn ends for the birds, not sure about that one .. How about felting, would that work ??

      ReplyDelete
    16. Cake, yum...off to find something sweet. I see you are making more grannies!

      ReplyDelete
    17. Yum! I make a similar cake that is a chocolate cake with Peanut butter icing! I love the combo of Peanut butter and chocolate!

      ReplyDelete
    18. THE CAKE LOOKS DELICIOUS! THANKS FOR SHARING THE RECIPE!
      AND THE YARN IDEA IS GREAT TOO!
      THIS YEAR, I MUST LEARN HOW TO CROCHET/KNIT!LOL

      DEBBIE MOSS

      ReplyDelete
    19. I used to do this for the birds too until I found out that they choke on the yarn. check the Internet for more info.

      ReplyDelete
    20. sunnywolfgar aka Terry Devine8:35 AM

      I save all my yarn bits and when I get a sandwich bag full give it to a Kindergarten teacher. not a lot of yarn but those little kids got those tiny fingers you be surprised how they use them in craft projects. Our grandson goes to preschool so now he has the bag for his teacher. I also used to put out in the yard for the birds, with the house on the market I don't do that right now.

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥