Sunday, December 19, 2010

On-the-Fly-Doily

I changed my mind.  I'm posting these now in case anybody wants to try a quick Sunday project.

Rounds 5 and 6 did not turn out like mine on the testers' doilies.  They crochet tightly and I crochet loosely, hence the difference.  If you are a tight crocheter, you will want to add an extra chain to the loops on both of these rounds so they'll stand out more and not draw up as in these pictures.  You can also try using a bigger hook.

 Tracie's Doily

Melissa's Doily

Pammy Sue's Doily

If you look at the bottom center at the last off-white round in my doily, that error has been corrected in the below pattern.  And if you want this pattern in a Word Document, leave me a comment along with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Once again, thank you to Tracie and Melissa for testing this pattern.  I made some adjustments based on their feedback.

Note: I lay no claims on this pattern. Use it as you wish. However, I would love to see a picture of yours if you make it!


On-the-Fly Yarn Doily

12 ½ inches in diameter

Worsted Weight Yarn
Size H hook (Go up a hook size if you crochet tightly)

Change colors between rounds as desired. The following instructions indicate color changes used in the doily pictured.

Start with a magic circle (or ch 6 and join to form a ring).

Round 1: Ch 3, 2 dc in ring, ch 2, *3 dc in ring, ch 2* repeat from * to * until you have 5 sets of 3 dc. Join with a sl st to top of first ch 3.

Round 2: Attach new color with a sl st in any ch-2 space in Round 1. Ch 3, 2 dc in same space, ch 2, 3 dc in same space, ch 2 (two 3-dc clusters made). (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc in next space, ch 2) in each space around. Join with a sl st to beginning sl st.

Round 3: Attached a new color in any ch-2 space of previous round. Ch 3, 2 dc in same space, ch 2. (3 dc, ch 2) in each space around. Join with a sl st in beginning Ch 3.

Round 4: Attach a new color and join with an sc in any stitch. Sc in each stitch and 2 sc in each ch space around. Join with a sl st to first sc.

Round 5: Ch 3, sk 2 stitches, (sc in next stitch, ch 3, sk 2 stitches) around. Join with a sl st to beginning stitch.

Round 6: Sl stitch in first two chains of beginning ch-3. Chain 4, (sl st in next ch-3 loop, ch-4) around. Join with a sl st in beginning stitch.

Round 7: Attach a new color in any ch-4 loop of previous round. Ch 3, 2 dc in same loop, ch 2. (3dc, ch 2) in each ch-4 loop around. Join with a sl st to beginning st.

Round 8: Attach a new color in any ch-2 space of previous round. Ch 3, dc in same sp. (Dc in each stitch and 2 dc in each space) around…Add one extra dc somewhere in the middle of this round. (I only had enough stitches in the doily I made to skip 2 stitches before joining. This should fix that problem. Remember I was doing this on the fly!) Join with a sl st to top of beginning ch 3.

Round 9: Attach a new color in any stitch. Ch 5, sk 3 stitches, (sc in next stitch, ch 5, sk 3 stitches) around. Join with sl st to beginning stitch.

Round 10: 3 sc in each loop around. Join with a sl st to beginning sc.

Round 11: Attach a new color in any sc between loops of previous round (see picture). Ch 5, dc in same stitch. Dc, ch 2, dc in sc between next loop (V-stitch made). V-stitch in each sc between loops around. Join with a sl st to 3rd chain of beginning ch 5.

Round 12: Ch 3, 2 dc in ch-2 sp of previous round, ch 2, 3 dc in same stitch. (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in each ch-2 of each v-stitch of previous round. Fasten off and weave-in ends.

Wet or damp blocking recommended.  It will make all the difference!

16 comments:

  1. I was thinking that this pattern would also look great on a round pillow cover - what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very pretty, thanks for the pattern. Adding to my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I love your doily. Really, really a pretty pattern you came up with. I made those candied pecans today that you made back in Nov. and they were a hell of allot easier than all the cookies I've been making! I'd take one every time I passed by the table and if I didn't finally put them in a container out of site I'd have eaten waaayyy to many...as it is, I'm gonna make another batch just to take with me to Christmas day; I know my sis will like 'em. Cutest chickens you found. They'd be cute in my kitchen when I finally get it done. Bye for now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful doily! Thank you so much for sharing the pattern! I hope to try it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Pammy Sue,

    your Doily is very beautiful...thank you so much for the Pattern.
    Send you many Greetings,

    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty Pam! Love the turkeys too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops..I stand corrected...roosters! I need one of those. My kitchen is roosters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this, and can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing your pattern! ~teener

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your doily! Thank you for a great pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't notice the error when you posted the pic of it before. I printed it out. I may try it while I'm in FL....depends on how much time I have on my hands while there. But I'm definitely taking my crochet stuff. Hopefully will teach my oldest granddaughter how to crochet. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. would love a copy yarnfreak@optimum.net thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the color combination in the 1st one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Pammy Sue!
    I got the chance to make your On the Fly Doily...thank you so much for sharing it with us!

    I blogged about it and linked to here.
    If you'd like to take a peek it's this post here:
    http://aseknc.blogspot.com/2011/01/mail-art-crochet-with-free-pattern-link.html

    Have a great weekend hun!
    ♥Anita
    http://aseknc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank you!!!! this pattern worked up quick and easy.. I noticed the row where you sc 3x on the 5 ch loop was curling it a bit - so thanks to Anita I added and extra sc and it worked out great.. you can see my version here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mommasgoodies/5352616256/

    I did this with varigated acrylic and it turned out great (in my novice opinion :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Courtney, it DID turn out great!
    I'm glad I could help sweetie. =)

    Pammy Sue, thanks again for sharing!

    ♥Anita
    Remember to always dream. More importantly, work hard to make those dreams come true and never give up. Dr. Robert D. Ballard
    http://aseknc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥