Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Granny Log Cabin

With permission of Erin at Dutch Girl Diary, the creator of this wonderful pattern, I've printed the below pattern in a condensed version.  She has a full tutorial with pictures on her blog HERE.  I think this is a very interesting pattern and hope to make an afghan using it next year.

Y'all go visit Erin's blog and see her completed Granny Log Cabin Afghan!  It's so pretty!

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping Blogger doesn't screw up the line spacing so it's easy to print.


I've number the rows in the above picture since I don't have any of the other tutorial pictures here.  This is Erin's picture and her work.

Granny Log Cabin

http://dutchgirldiary.blogspot.com/2010/10/granny-log-cabin-potholder.html

Materials:
Worsted Weight Yarn
G Hook

Note: Traditional Log Cabins have a red or yellow center.  (I had no idea!  How interesting.)

For a potholder, also crochet a solid granny square and attach to the back with sc all around; edge.

For afghan, make five rows of each color instead of two.

Step 1:
Crochet a 2-round granny square. Fasten off.

Step 2:
Starting at a corner, fasten on new color with a sl st.
Chain 2 - this is equal to 1 DC. 2 more DC in this corner to form a 3 DC cluster.
3 DC cluster in next space (middle). 3 DC cluster in corner. Chain 2 and turn work over.

Step 3:
Chain 2 from previous step equals first DC. 3 DC clusters in next two spaces. 1 DC to finish row. Fasten off; turn clockwise for new color.

Step 4:
Starting at a corner, fasten on new color with a slip stitch. Chain 2 - this is equal to 1 DC.
2 more DC in this corner to form a 3 DC cluster. 3 DC cluster in next two spaces.
3 DC cluster in corner. Chain 2 and turn work over.

Step 5:
Chain 2 from previous step equals first DC.
3 DC clusters in next three spaces. 1 DC to finish row. Fasten off and weave in ends.
Flip work over so that the “right” side of the center granny is showing.

Step 6:
Turn clockwise and fasten on new color.
Continue crocheting each “log” as explained in Step 2 and Step 3 until the potholder/afghan is as large as you would like it to be.


Thank you very much, Erin, for allowing me to post this condensed version.  And thanks for sharing a great pattern with us too!

7 comments:

  1. Very neat! Being a quilter, I am familiar with the log cabin quilting square. This is a good version!!!! Love it! Now I am going to go check out the blog you mentioned where you found this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really is a very colorful and unique way of making a granny square, but to be honest, having to sew in all those ends would drive me nuts...but the end result will surely be stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now would you quit posting patterns I want to make . . .with crochet and cross stitch I will have no time to sleep in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great Pammy Sue, I have made the rug and love the pattern..It crochets up quickly.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, thank you so much for the effort and for the sharing! I love the pattern, hope I could try it soon!
    Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw that before and wondered if I could do it. I guess I just need to sit down and try. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. The red or yellow central square is from quilting and is supposed to represent the fire or hearth of the log cabin home

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥