Wednesday, December 01, 2010

The Creeping Crud

Thanks for all the nice comments on the Granny Bunting last post.  Y’all are so sweet and make me so happy appreciating all my silly projects.  I didn’t really make them that fast.  It took me three days, which is plenty for 8 granny triangles and tassels and a looooooong chain.  Some of you have asked if I work since I seem to have so much time to crochet.  Yes, I work.  I have my own business and work from home doing transcription; primarily corporate.  Actually, it’s not “my own” business anymore.  I took a partner 4 years ago.  But one of the perks of working from home is you do get a lot of time to do things you wouldn’t get to do working outside the home.  A ten-minute break can turn into a granny square!  The best perk is my office attire:  PAJAMAS and socks!  Hee-hee.  HERE is our business website, which is in dire need of revamping.  Any volunteers?  We initially just wanted something to throw up so we could say we had a website and put it on our business cards, and it has just stayed a standalone page with no links or anything else.  We don’t use it to drive business, although we have gotten a couple of small jobs from it.  Okay, how did I get onto this boring business stuff?
So I have come down with what my daddy calls the “Creeping Crud,” a cold or something like it.  I’ve been expecting it.  I was around my two great nieces on Thanksgiving and they were both sick.  So far it’s just a sore throat and cough, which I seem to get a lot more often since I had those vocal cord granulomas a couple of years ago…or was it just last year?  I don’t remember.
ANYWAY, my point was not to whine.  My point is to give you this wonderful recipe that I made yesterday morning when I felt this coming on.  I think it’s really good and so does The Captain (and he’s a picky eater).  It’s a nice change from chicken soup, although it’s just chicken soup with meatballs instead of chicken.  I got the basic recipe from Allrecipes.com and tweaked it to my liking.  Feel free to do the same.  If you haven’t ever tried the Skinner Dumpling pasta, try it.  It’s my favorite.

Italian Wedding Soup
1 pound extra-lean ground beef
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
½ tsp salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
3 tablespoons minced onion (I used dried flakes)
2 1/2 quarts chicken broth (2 ½ big cartons)
2 cups fresh spinach - packed, rinsed and thinly sliced
1 cup dumpling pasta (Skinner brand in a bag)
1 cup diced carrots
1 tsp salt (to taste)
In a medium bowl, combine the raw beef, eggs, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, basil, and onion. Shape mixture into 1/2-inch (small) balls and set aside. Chop spinach and carrots.
In a large stockpot heat chicken broth to boiling; stir in the spinach, pasta, carrots, meatballs, and salt. Return to boil; reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, at a slow boil for 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente, and meatballs are no longer pink inside. Serve hot with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
DSCF2229 
That’s my contribution for today.  See ya.

11 comments:

  1. An occassional crud germ is sometimes a good thing....Keeps the immune system on alert and functioning...
    I love Italian Wedding soup so this recipe looks good to me. Also, ....have you carried your bag yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the greens on your web site. Years ago I thought about getting into transcription. Went to school for Paralegal and at that time that was a glorified name for a legal secretary and that wasn't what I wanted to do.

    But hey...your soup looks very delish! Hope you feel better soon!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This soup is awesome. It's been one of our favorites for the past couple of years. I haven't tried those noodles though. I'll have to look for them. I have made them with both the homemade meatballs and the frozen Italian meatballs from the market. We like both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have come down with some cruddy thing also..Yuk Thanks for the soup recipe..I love soup.
    I used to do Transcription at home..I gained weight and became depressed..I needed to get out and be with people..I needed to get dressed everyday and have a routine. Thats how I found out Im a routine person!
    You have to be very disiplined person to work from home, I envy people who do it. Good for you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get rid of the crud quickly, Pammy. We need you back A.S.A.P. I'm in
    Design Template...H..LL..today.

    Soup looks mighty yummie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Italian wedding soup is something I had never heard of untit I moved to western New York. here, it seems, it is on the menu at all of the restaurants. Well, I am exaggerating, but in Indiana I had never heard of it.

    Yours does look good. Keep up posting the recipes . . I have used several and they have been hits here.l

    \0/ paula

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sheesh! I hate being around little kids for that very reason! They always make me sick...LITERALLY! I'm surprised Brenda or Mom took them that day since the last time those kids got them sick, they both ended up having to go to the doctors and Mom liked to have never got over it. Lord have Mercy!

    Hope you feel better real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The creeping crud invaded my home and I'm pleased to say it's slowly creeping out! Get better soon. I too love this soup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope ya get over the "crud" quickly! I made those pecan bars and they were a hit on Thanksgiving, thanks for posting the recipe. I really like the buttery crust. Of course in my world butter has a food group all of it's very own. Take lotsa vit-c and get your beauty and immune boosting sleep and you'll be good as new. Take care buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you feel better very soon. :)

    Love the soup recipe. I've gotta look for those noodles, they look yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥