Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Some Days

Why is it that some days you have absolutely nothing to blog about and others you can't seem to fit everything in?  It seems I have several days of lots to say, and then several days of nothing.  Blogging is hard.  Ha-ha.  I love saying that things are hard ever since Paris Hilton said she doesn't like to order from menus at restaurants because, "Reading is hard."  What a dumb-ass.



I made a sourdough bread starter this morning.  Here's how I did it if you want to make some too.  You'll be able to make some great sourdough bread in 3-4 days.  (I'll provide that recipe too.)


All you need are 4 ingredients.

2 cups water
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 pkg active dry yeast
1 tsp sugar


In a GLASS bowl, mix the water, sugar, and yeast with a wooden spoon.  Dump in the flour and stir to combine.  I pressed mine up against the sides of the bowl to break up some of the lumps, but it doesn't have to be completely smooth.  Cover loosely with plastic wrap.  Leave it out on the counter for 3-4 days, stirring once or twice a day, again with a WOODEN spoon.  Don't use a metal bowl or spoon.  It can ruin your yeast and your bread won't rise.

After the 3 or 4 days are up, it's ready to use.  Take out the amount your recipe calls for and add the below ingredients to "feed" the yeast.  Combine well, cover, and refrigerate until you're ready to use more.  If you don't use the starter after 4 days, refrigerate it.  "Feed" the mixture once a week with 1 cup of milk, 1 cup of flour, and 1/4 cup sugar.  Or just throw it away or give it away if you don't want to use it again.

You can use any sourdough bread recipe you like, but I'll be back in a couple of days with the recipe I'm using.



I may have stolen these rocks yesterday from a parking lot landscape.  The Captain may have threatened to leave me there when I jumped out of the car to get them.  "That's stealing!," he yelled.  "Oh, get over yourself!," I yelled back.  How else was I supposed to get some smooth rocks like this?  There are no rivers around here big enough to produce rocks like this, and I think you have to buy a gazillion of them at, uh, um, the rock store?  I don't know!

I've been wanting a couple so I could crochet little doilies around them like this:


I just want to try it to say I've done it.
(I know my sister is having a cow right now and saying, "I want some of those!")
Aren't you, Patsy?
hee-hee


And finally...

Again, I want to show you my mad photog skilz...NOT!


I tried really hard to get a good picture of Fletcher with his tongue out giving Sammi some good lovin' yesterday.  This is the best I could do, and I thought it was kind of funny.  I think my shutter speed was too slow?  (That kinda sounds like I know what I'm talking about, doesn't it?  Well, I don't.)


Go see Jacquie's RED and WHITE Pillow!
It's Gorgeous!


That is all.
Carry on.

13 comments:

  1. For not thinking you had anything to blog about you did pretty darn good. Just blogging about Paris Hilton alone could take up a good bit of space. In fact, she occupies too much space -- on the airways, in the papers, in magazines, etc. Her 15 minutes of fame should have ended 2 minutes after it started. Anyway, loved all your musings today. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pammy is that a fall plate from Hobby Lobby in the background?? They sell the same ones I think... very pretty but I'm outta room.

    Animals do the darndest things.... I love seeing the doggies. Have fun and go crochet something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. S. LOVES sourdough bread, so think I will make this too. I don't even have to go to the grocery store to start it... yay!

    I would so do the same thing with the rocks... tell The Cap'n that it is not stealing, it is re-purposing.. there is a difference. Ha ha

    OMG is that red and white pillow the most gorgeous thing I have seen in quite some time. She does beautiful work. I wanna make one now. Thanks for adding another project to my ever-growing list! Oh I gotta go enter for your giveaway before I forget. Have a fab day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm not your sister but I am having a cow right now - I WANT THOSE ROCKS! Now I'm going to find some smooth rocks (and yes, pleez! it is not stealing unless I haul them off by the wheel barrel full) and crochet around them...why can't I ever think of cool stuff to make like that? Those are magnificent!!!

    Thanks for showing them to us!

    Have a great day!

    Doris and Gizzy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you think for one gosh darn second I"m going to be starting some 3-4 day Fresh SourDough bread today, you are crazy. Panera, comes to my mind. Why spoil a hit like last night's Crock-Roast and spoil the Scooter twice in one week.

    Love the Rocks... Did you know I bring one back from every one of our journey's. I have a special stack in the garden. But, they may need to come inside and get decorated.

    You and the kids, crack me up....

    Avidersan,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG Pam, you crack me up! Paris IS a Dumb Ass!!! So is Lindsay and Brittany and so many others.
    We do a lot of bread baking, and use sd starters too. Great pancakes! Love the rocks!!! I collect them too. I have several heart shaped ones. I took some heavy ones once on vacation in the motorhome. Ever watch Lucy and Ricky in the long, long trailer? Well, that was me!!!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:15 AM

    the rocks are very cool. BP

    ReplyDelete
  8. So who is this anonymous stalker you have????

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back in the early 1990's, I framed a small (4x6) piece of white thread crochet. I hung it in my living room. (Magic Crochet had a 2-page spread of squares years ago. The photography was so gorgeous I had to try at least one of them!) Everybody's question was "Why?" and "what did it stand for?"

    Well, to me, those crocheted rocks will be about the same thing -- Just Because! I'm gonna have to do some rocks now. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pammy Sue,
    I wish you could be a writer for all of the entertainment rags so you could keep us all in stitches. As a matter of fact, why not add that as a weekly or monthly feature of your blog....let's start with Lady GaGa.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know me well...YES, I love those covered rocks. I saw some in an etsy shop and almost bought some. I had forgotten about them until you posted that photo.

    Well...if you decide you like covering rocks with crochet, you'll have to go to the rock store and buy a bag or a bunch or however they sell them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hysterial! You crack me up with your mad photog skillz...

    I miss baking... especially in the fall. Can't wait for my November vaca so I can get my house all prettied up and bake for the holidays. Your bread sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stealing rocks is prob. the only way you could do it...No rocks around here like that either. Even on a slow "no Blog idea" day ....you still get more visitors than me.....No one likes me Pammy Sue.......sigh

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥