Sunday, September 12, 2010

Lots of Stuff & Pics

I'm cramming a lot of stuff and pictures in today's post. I figure it's okay since I don't get the chance to update regularly lately during the week. Please click on the pictures (especially of the tablecloth/bedspread) so you can get a better look. I'm making the pictures smaller than normal.

And away we go...

**********************

First of all...

HAPPY  BIRTHDAY  AARON!
My oldest son is 30 today.  Gah.  I mean, Happy Birthday!
Your momma loves you GOBS!

**************************

Lookie, lookie, lookie what I found for a steal! It might as well have been free!





It's a beautiful full-size crocheted bedspread, which I am displaying on my dining room table so I can look at it all day.  And I'm telling you it is in PERFECT condition!  Not one stray thread or even pick that I can find!

Don't hate me when I tell you how much it was.  I saw another one that was displayed on a bed in the same antique store that was nearly identical and it was priced at $599.  Imagine my surprise when I pick this one up and looked at the tag and saw $25!  I looked at it multiple times just to make sure I wasn't reading it wrong.  Did they leave a number off the front of the $25?  Or off of the end?  I checked one last time to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me when I was at the counter, and sure enough, she rang it up as $25!

I felt silly when I asked her to help me hold it open so I could inspect it for flaws.  I mean, for $25 what do you expect, lady?  I figured I would hold it open and see a big gaping hole in the center, but I didn't see anything!  The lady didn't say one word about the price and I sure wasn't going to bring it up.  I swear, I nearly ran to my car and couldn't get out of that parking lot fast enough for fear someone would be running after me saying, "Wait!  There's been a horrible mistake!  Come back!"

Hee-hee.  I was pleased with myself the rest of the day.

***************************

I even stopped at the store and bought the ingredients to make a nice big dinner for myself.  The Captain was working last night so it was just me.  I made a big mess in the kitchen, but I didn't care.  It was so good.  See?...

Mexican chicken & veggies with rice and an avocado salad.  I didn't follow a recipe.  It's one of my favorite dinners at a Mexican restaurant we do go so I just guessed at how to make it.  Everything was good except the rice.  It sucked.  I have a mexican rice recipe that I know is good and should have followed, but I didn't.  I ate it anyway.  The rest turned out scrumptious.

*******************************

Then after dinner I made these while watching the NASCAR race.


Colorful Coasters

And here is the free pattern because I love you.  It's free from Coats & Clark, but I won't make you go there and retrieve it.  It's also on Ravelry.

Worsted Cotton Yarn and a Size G (4.25mm) Hook

Rnd 1: Ch 4; 11 dc in 4th ch from hook; join with a sl st to top of beg ch – 12 sts. 
Rnd 2: Ch 3, dc in joining, 2 dc in each st around; join.
Rnd 3: Ch 3, 2 dc in joining, ch 1, skip next st, [3dc in next st, ch 1, skip next st] 11 times; join.
Rnd 4: Ch 1, [sc in next dc, (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) all in sp] 12 times; join to first sc. Fasten off. Weave in ends.

After making these, I have decided I hate Peaches & Cream yarn and will never use it again.  It's too hard to crochet with.  It's not slickery enough to glide through your hook and it makes me feel like I have a cottonball in my mouth.  Gah!  I used cotton because I have a lot of it I need to use up, and it's absorbant which is what you need for coasters.  You can do the last round in acrylic (which is what I did with the yellow one) and it won't matter much.

****************************

And finally...(about time, Pammy Sue)

Something else yummy...


Cinnamon Toaster Streudels!
nom-nom-nom

Bye!

14 comments:

  1. You are just like me when it comes to describing food that you have prepared and don't like (except you are more polite in your description - I usually say that it tasted S**t or that it tasted crap!!!) My husband will be very polite and say it's ok it's not that bad but me I just go straight in and tell it exactly how it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well P.S. I have been one sick pup this past week....I think I picked up a bug at Scribes house. Anyhoo I got knocked flat by it. I love toaster struds as well, but dont buy them a whole lot. Crochet has been slow lately as well...but I did start my retro Christmas blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tablecloth is a beauty. Sweet coasters, and you too for including the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your post today - thanks for sharing the coaster pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sure did get yourself a bargain with that spread!!! Wow!! Thanks for the coaster recipe....er pattern.
    Off to the market. Feeling lazy today.
    Oh..happy birthday to son...my oldest is 29~~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, Pam, that bedspread is beautiful!!! Do you plan to keep using as a tablecloth?? I WOULD!! (as long as I could keep the animals off it though! Ugh.. I shudder just thinking about it!)... Like how your coasters came out! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my - that bedspread really is a wonderful bargain - lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is lovely. My mom has one almost like that. I'm sure she was the $599 sucker. What a find.

    Great now I want a toaster streudel and there isn't on in the house.

    Off to find some kind of sweet.

    Out all day and ready to crash in front of the tube.


    Not much to post about eveything looks so boring.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a bargain you picked up - the sun was shining for you that day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL - I would have ran out of there too and checked for holes at home just in case ... that cashier probably was clueless about handmade crocheted work because I would have questioned it if I worked there - HECK, I would have baught it if I worked there LOL

    That avocado salad sounds yummy - I make good spanish rice. I learned it from my ex-mother in law who is Hopi Indian.

    I know what you mean about the glide (or non-glide) for cotton yarn, but I use cotton yarn a lot for my kitchen crochet...it's just a better insulator or heat conductor for practical use, but coasters could be in acrylic...they sure do look nice. I copied the pattern - Thanks.

    Be sure and check out my September Giveaway on my blog.

    Hugs
    Doris and Gizy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ditto on th bedspread comments. I have a tablecloth my Grandmother crocheted and want to use it BUt I keep thinking about the animal hairs too :0{

    Have you ever tried Village Cotton and, I believe it is called, Caibbean Cotton? Not sure n the names but both are available at Herrschners online. I think the 2nd one is very similar to Hobby Lobby I Love That Cotton . . . ..which I am going to start buying online when they have free shipping. Easier than going to the store :0}

    \0/ paula

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your "tablecloth" is absolutely gorgeous! What a lot of work!!!
    I have made a bargain to some years ago, think I will show it on my blog today :-) I have no new things to show you know.
    By the way I love your placemats to!
    Hugs
    Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. How gorgeous is that? Lucky you! I couldn't be so lucky to find one like that...for that price!

    I think the cotton depends on what type of day/night their having when they manufacture it. I have some Caribbean cotton yarn that is really hard to work and actually makes a sound on the hook. Like a squeaky sound that's equivalent to running your fingernails on a chalk board. ughhhh.

    xoxo
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what a beautiful bedspread. I love it, and it looks wonderful as a tablecloth as well.

    I don't like working with the Peaches and Cream yarn so much, but I love the finished product, so I suffer through. LOL I Love This Cotton is nice, but not so absorbent, and doesn't dry as nicely. I'm about to make a pillow with the ILTC, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥