Tuesday, August 10, 2010

16-Spoke Doily

clip_image002
16-Spoke Doily
(Such an imaginative name I chose)
By request, I wrote down what I did to make this doily.  If you have trouble or find any errors, please let me know.  (1/4/12:  I've incorporated the changes after reading the comments about errors, etc.  The below pattern should be correct now.  Keep in mind that the size of your hook and/or yarn may make a difference in how your doily looks and whether it ruffles or not, etc.  You may need to adjust your ch stitches between stitches if you use a different yarn or hook size than suggested.)
I used white cotton yarn (Color A) and peach baby-weight yarn (Color B).  Mine came out to 16 inches across using these yarns.  It’s probably best to use two of the same kind of yarn though because it was a little weird with them being different sizes.  I’d recommend using all baby-weight or all thread.
Size E crochet hook or appropriate size for yarn or thread
Dtr = yo three times, insert hook into sp indicated, yo and pull up a loop (5 loops on hook), (yo, pull through 2 loops) four times.
**********************************
With Color A:
Start with a magic circle (or you can Ch 6 and join with a sl st to form a ring)
Round 1: Ch 3, 15 dc in ring (total of 16 dc); join with a sl st.
Round 2: Ch 3, dc in same st, 2 dc in each dc around (total of 32 dc); join with a sl st.
Round 3: Ch 5, (skip next dc, dc in next dc, ch 2) around; join with a sl st to third ch of beginning ch-5.
Round 4: Ch 5, dc in same st, (skip a space, dc in next stitch, ch 2, dc in same stitch) around; join with a sl st to third ch of beginning ch-5. Fasten off.
Round 5: Join Color B with a sl st into any ch-2 space from previous round. Ch 3, make 2 dc in same space (first “spoke” made), ch 2, (3 dc in next ch-2 space from previous round, ch 2) around; join with a sl st to top of first ch-3. (16 spokes made)
Round 6: Ch 3, 1 dc in next dc, 2 dc in next, ch 2, (dc in next 2dc, 2 dc in next dc, ch 2) around; join with a sl st to top of first ch-3.
Round 7: Ch 3, dc in next 3 dc, 2 dc in next dc, ch 2, (dc in each of next three dc, 2 dc in next dc, ch 2) around; join with a sl st top top of first ch-3).
Round 8-11: Continue in same manner, adding one dc to each “spoke” and always ending the spoke with 2 dc in last dc. Fasten off.
Round 12: Join Color A with a sl st to any beginning dc of a spoke. Ch 3, dc in each of next 4 dc, ch 3, dc in each of next 4 dc, 2 dc in last dc, ch 1, (dc in each of next 4 dc, ch 3, dc in each of next 3 dc, 2 dc in last dc, ch 1) around; join with a sl st to top of beginning ch-3. Fasten off.
Round 13: Join Color B with a sl st to any ch-1 sp, ch 1, sc in same sp, ch 1, [(dtr in ch-3 sp of previous round, ch 1) 7 times, sc in ch-1 sp] around, ending with a sl st in first sc. Fasten off.
Round 14: Join Color A with an sc to any ch-1 sp, ch 3, (sc in next ch-1 sp, ch 3) around, ending with sl st in first sc. Fasten off.

23 comments:

  1. I love it! Now, ingenious would have been "The 2 times 4 Doily" ;-) What a great job. I might have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pam. Did you rest yet? I'm going to try this one right away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful doily! Thank you Pammy Sue for so generously sharing your talent with us.

    Warm Hugs,
    ¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸..•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`-: † :- Anita
    http://aseknc.blogspot.com/
    aseknc(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've missed you and my other blog friends. I see your work is just as lovely as ever and I like your new look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful doily. Thanks for sharing the pattern. By the way you choose a nice background (template)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful doily working on it now. But I think there is an error on rd.6&7. I think it should be Round 6:ch3,1dc in next dc, 2dc in next, ch2,(dc in next 2dc, 2dc in the next dc, ch2.) join Round 7: Ch3, dc in next 3 dc, 2dc in next dc, ch2,(dc in each of next three dc, 2dc in next dc, ch2,) around join.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! Just came here from Free Crochet Pattern of the Day, and here you are! Wow.. I miss my escapes to Blogland.. Who knows how much else I'm missing?!... Well, LOVE your pattern Pammy, and I especially like the very pretty edging you did on it! Beautiful work, and thanks for sharing your pattern! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  8. G'day
    I think on round 4 instead of
    Round 4: Ch 5, dc in same st, (skip a stitch, dc in next stitch, ch 2, dc in same stitch) around; join with a sl st to third ch of beginning ch-5. Fasten off.

    skip a stitch should be skip a space, if your skip a stitch then the work starts to curl :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:16 AM

    I agree with Patty on the corrections plus the following: row 12: (dc in each of next 4 dc, ch 3, dc in each of next 4 dc, 2 dc in last dc, ch 1)
    row 12 I found that adding a ch 1 after sc in ch-1 sp made it more even

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:32 PM

    I tried the pattern and ch 2 between the spokes on every round made it ruffle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you may be crocheting to tightly, if you feel your tension is right, add 1 chain to the ch 2 and it should be all right.

      Delete
  11. Anonymous3:16 PM

    Thanks to the gals who printed corrections on some rows that was wrong, I was able to make 2 dolies and they are very pretty..Dori

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, Miss Pammy Sue, you being featured on AllFreeCrochet. Keep up the good work! Somehow I know you will. LOL...

    Renee :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just finished this doily. I made it all blue with crochet thread. It came out beautiful. Thanks for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the pattern. I just finished it. I made out with size 10 thread and a size 4/2.00mm hook. It came out beautiful with blue thread.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm seeing this as a tiny infant car seat afghan or a larger afghan with a heavier yarn. So many possibilities with a hook and yarn. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If I were to do this doily in sz 10 crochet thread would it be smaller than the one you did? Maybe sz 5 would work better?
    Thanks,
    Leandra

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Leandra. Yes, it would be much smaller with Size 10 thread. Making it with Size 5 thread would still be better, but that's okay. The one with baby yarn is pretty big so I think it would be fine. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have made a number of these and I love the pattern. I recently took this pattern as inspiration and made a variation of it. Here are the details and a pic. Hope you like it!! Debi / Indpls IN
    http://debiscrafts.blogspot.com/2014/10/spoke-doily-variation.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. ThreadinAlong7:22 AM

    Thanks for sharing your pattern. I will be making it a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous5:39 AM

    Beautiful! Thanks a lot, I tried it:)

    Actually, as a beginner, rows 6 and 12 were kinda confusing or probably not clearly enough explained.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a pretty doily. I think I will start working on this right away.
    Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥