Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Take It Outside

Whew!  I'm so glad you guys told me that my scales were broken.  I checked, and sure enough, they're broken.  I'm skinny again!  It's magic!  I think it might be snowing outside too!
I sat out on the back porch this morning and had my coffee, crocheted, and checked my email.  It was cool enough to do that for a while with the ceiling fan on, but then it got too hot and I moved inside.
Here's the view from the other end of the porch.  We have a loooong porch.  It's the first thing we had done when we moved in.  They only had a concrete slab about 4' x 4' with no cover.  They lived with that stupid stoop for a porch for 11 years.  Weirdos!

I have a secret for you.
Are you ready?...

This stuff is so great.  Shhhhh!  Don't tell anybody!  Buy it and bury it in your freezer.  You can take it out of the cardboard tray and put it in a glass dish and nobody will know it isn't homemade!  It's THAT good.  And it looks homemade too.  I've never had a frozen meal that could really pass for homemade, but this one does.  You just need 1 1/2 hours for it to heat through completely.  There are lots of chunks of white chicken in there too.  They didn't skimp on the meat.  It says it's, "Family Size," but I got three good-sized servings out of it.

I made a new recipe last night for a side dish.  It was kind of weird having tortilla chips and salsa with the noodle dish, but whatever.  It was good.  

Here's the recipe for Fresh Summer Salsa:
Two large cucumbers, peeled, seeded & chopped
Three Roma tomatoes, seeded & chopped
1/4 cup red onion, chopped

Purdy, ain't it?
One or two fresh jalapenos, seeded & chopped
(They're not hot at all when you seed them)
1 clove or 2 tsp chopped garlic
2 tsp dried parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Leave it in your bowl like this without stirring, cover it, and put it in the fridge until you're ready to eat it.

Then stir together in a small bowl:
 1/4 cup sour cream
Two tsp lemon juice
Two tsp lime juice
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt

Add to your chopped veggies and stir well to combine.
Serve with tortilla chips.

I hate it when people split up their recipes between pictures, don't you?  It makes it hard to copy and paste to print it without the pictures.  And I just did it.  Forgive me this one time.

13 comments:

  1. Lovely Porch! I wish I could sit & sip some sweet tea & visit you~ Oh Heck~ make it Texas Beach Tea! (New @ a local restaurant, the alcohol makes it extra special!).
    Can't wait to try your new homemade Stouffers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'll eat anything that has cucumbers or cilantro in it. BUT, I've never had them mixed together, why didn't I think of that? Clever gal you are. Really salsa and chips can be eaten with anything and all day long, too. Love your porch! I agree with Janis, let's have some sweet tea and visit; let's crochet, too. Have a wonderful day and thanks for puttin' a smile on my face this morn. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weirdos indeed! Chips and salsa go with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your outdoor area! I would be sitting out there if it was cool enough to drink my morning Java! You guys did a great job its so nice. Love the recipe..I just went through your blog and copied a lot of recipes.. Supposed to be working! Shhhhh! Love the ice cream sandwich easy peasy look fancy dealio...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to see you are getting outside. Isn't it nice with a cup in the morning. I love this salsa, mine is pretty much the same except never added sour cream. Sounds tastiek... Also, I add quite a bit more lime and no lemon.

    My Nordic order just arrived... Thin and scarey, but it looks close to the embrodiery floss for that vest, which does look fun and pretty easy, actually. Let me get caught up on the few I have going now.

    Ok, so I'm not suppose to be online today. Promised myself..icks. It's the first day we have seen the sun in about 6.

    So, out of here for now,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my Pam, love that porch! I have to agree with the others on the tea, visit, crochet and me thinks some of that salsa and chips for a snack.

    Hugs XX
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your porch is loverly.

    When I read your blog now... it has a southern accent...

    My sore throat is still sore. When is this going to end Pammie Sue? Gah!

    I might try your salsa when my cukes and jalapenos... and tomoaters...are ripe... yum :) Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So when shall we come over? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. yum..P.S.......I love porches..I love your porch...Hey did Garden Bell figure it all out with her mic?

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the weight loss method ;p and pretty porch! We love our tinsy porch

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a relief! If your scale is broken, that means mine may have suffered the same fate! I'm going to check right now....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your porch! Our 1950ish ranch only had the small slab too. We extended it and put a roof on with ceiling fans and that's where you will find us during the summer. Have to minimize sun exposure because this ol' gal gets blotchy skin from too much sun. It's h#@@ getting old....sigh.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your porch! Looks like a great place to hang out. I love your pug terrier....we have a black pug named Lucy....I love both those breeds, they are my favorite. Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥