Thursday, March 18, 2010

Rags to Riches

I am such a dork with these titles.  Whatever.

OMG...Oh.My.Gosh.  I cannot wait to show y'all what I made last night...

TA-DAH!


Yay!!  Isn't it pretty?

It isn't finished yet.  I'm going to crochet a little birdie to hang in the center when I get some time, and I'm going to tie a large bow at the bottom.

I saw a lot of these when I followed the link on Lucy's blog a couple of days ago.  She has a link on there to a Flickr group for wreaths.  You can go look if you want to see a lot of beautiful wreaths made from different things.

But my favorite were the rag wreaths.  And I think my very favorite one is this one made by heatherknitz on Flickr.


How gorgeous is this?  I love the aqua.
She used a felt birdie, but I'm going to crochet mine.


I went out to Hobby Lobby to get the things I needed yesterday afternoon.  Here are a couple of pictures of what you'll need to make one yourself.



I got 1/3 of a yard (12 inches) of each of the purples you see here.  It was plenty to make a large wreath with some left over.  I used 12-inch strips of fabric that I cut off with pinking shears.  I also cut each end of the strips on a diagonal with the pinking shears.  You can just use regular scissors if you want. 

The ribbon is for the bow I'm going to put at the bottom.  The green, yellow, and pink material is for another wreath.  I bought those little bundles already cut, but they were really expensive at $9.99 per little bundle.  It's cheaper to buy it off of the bolts and have them cut it.  Each purple color ended up costing anywhere from 69 cents to just over $1.

Just cut or tear your strips of material and start tying them on to the wire wreaths pictured below.  You can also use a wire coat hanger and just cut it and form it into a ring.  I wanted to use these because they're a little wider.


Here are the wire wreaths I used.  They have several different sizes.  You could buy even less material if you just want a small one.  These were about $2.50 each.  I found these in the floral department.  They were in a different spot than all the other styrofoam, straw, and twig wreaths.

It took me three hours of cutting and tying to finish that large wreath.

Okay, that's it!  I have to get to work now.

I hope some of you make wreaths of your own and post pictures of them on your blog.  I'd love to see what colors and designs y'all come up with!  Let me know if you do, and I'll come have a look-see.

Bye!

9 comments:

  1. 1: such pretty wreaths! I saw those in he 80's in a craft magazine I used to buy, I think McCall's. mmm....maybe now I'll make one? Har..
    2: I've sent you an email, I hope you get it, and please? would you delete your comment on my blog? I can't do it! (must be having some old lady moment).
    Thanks for sharing your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found you through Garden Bell and had to say how much I love the wreath you have made! Really really lovely **Kim**

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, aren't you just the crafty one! The concept sounds pretty easy, but I'm sure it's more complicated than it sounds. Another thing to add to my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How pretty is that!! What a great job you did. I can't wait to see the green/yellow/pink one. That would be good to put out for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Great job! Granny Barton would be so proud of you and she'd have been right in there with you doing this cool craft.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was able to delete your comment, (finally!). will get in touch later, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I LOVE it!!!.. and I love the sweet little bird too!! Really cute!! Perfect for Spring! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty Pammy Sue!!! I love it <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥