Monday, February 15, 2010

Monday Crochet Pattern & Cake Recipe

Hello my Sweetie Pies.  There's good stuff today in this here entry, I'll tell you fo sho.  Get those printers warmed-up and ready.

I will tell you in another entry later how to retrieve all of Dayna's patterns even though you get an error message when you follow any of her links!  It's a secret that my super-smart hubby taught me and I will teach you.  Shhh!  Don't tell anybody.  But just remember who loves ya.  (You will feel so sneaky and like you're doing something bad, but at the same time, you'll be really pleased with yourself and doing the Smarty-Pants Dance once you learn this bit of computer genius.  I'll also show you what the Smarty-Pants Dance is!  Stay tuned.)

And away we go...

Changes I made to this pattern:  Used a size J hook and added a final round of dc in each stitch around with 3dc in center hdc in corners of previous round.  Mine came out closer to 14 inches with these changes.

(The afghan pictured in my previous post was done using a J hook and had at least two extra rounds of dc added at the end.)

*A picture of this square is pictured in my previous post.

Wheel Lattice Square

12-inch square (with 7" and 8" options)

I hook
Worsted weight yarn

*For 7 inch option, use G hook and work thru round 7.
*For 8 inch option, use G Hook and work thru round 8.

Ch 4, join to form a loop

Round 1: Ch 1 (sc, ch 5) 8 times in loop, join to 1st sc.

Round 2: Sl st in next loop, ch 3, 2dc in same loop, 3 dc in each loop around, join to 3rd ch of beg ch 3.

Round 3: Ch 1, sc in same st as joining, ch 5, skip next dc, (sc in next dc, ch 5, skip next dc) around, join to 1st sc. (12 loops)

Round 4: Sl st in next loop, ch 3, 2dc in same loop, ch 1, (3dc, ch 1) in each loop around, join to 3rd ch of beg ch 3.

Round 5: Sl st in next dc, (ch 4, 2 trc, ch 3, 3 trc) in same dc, [*ch 1, skip next 2 dc, 3dc in next dc, ch 1, skip next 2 dc, 3 dc in next dc, ch 1, skip next 2 dc *, (3trc, ch 3, 3trc) in next dc] 3 times and * to * once more, join to 4th ch of beg ch 4.

Round 6: Sl st to corner, ch 1 [(sc, ch 5, sc) in corner, ch 5, sc in next ch 1 sp across] 4 times, join to 1st sc.

Round 7: Sl st in corner loop, (ch 3, 2 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) in corner, [*ch 1, (3 dc in next loop, ch 1) in each loop across,* (3dc, ch 3, 3dc) in corner] 3 times and * to * once more, join to 3rd ch of beg ch 3.

Round 8: Sl st to corner, (ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in corner, [*dc in each dc and ch 1 across*, (3dc, ch 2, 3dc) in corner] 3 times and * to * once more, join to 3rd ch of beg ch 3.

Round 9: Sl st to corner, ch 1 [(sc, ch 5, sc) in corner, ch 3, (skip next dc, sc in next dc, ch 3) across] 4 times, join to 1st sc.

Round 10: Sl st to corner, ch 1 [(sc, ch 5, sc) in corner loop, ch 3, (sc in next loop, ch 3) across] 4 times, join to 1st sc.

Round 11: Repeat round 10.

Note: Round 12 can be done with sc or dc depending on the size square you want.

Round 12: Sl st in corner loop, ch 2, 4 hdc in corner, [*2 hdc in each loop across*, 5 hdc in corner] 3 times and * to * once more, join to 2nd ch of beg ch 2. Finish off and weave away!

© Dayna Audirsch, July 14, 2004

*********************************
 
I cannot even begin to tell you how good this Chocolate-Coke Cake is.
 
Changes I made to the recipe:
 
I turned the temperature down a bit to 335 degrees F because I used a coated non-stick pan.  I always do this because the edges of my cakes seem to get over-done and dry if I don't.  I had to cook it longer because of the lower temp -- 40 minutes total.
 
I added about 1/2 cup of marshmallows too.  The marshmallows will rise to the top of the batter after you pour it in your cake pan, and you'll need to spread them out evenly.  Then I added enough marshmallows to fill in the gaps where there were no marshmallows and just dunked them under the batter with my spoon.  I hope that makes sense.  I'm sure you can skip this and it'll be fine. 
 
Also, if you make your icing too far ahead of time and it sets up (like mine did) and is not pourable, stick it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes on high and it will become soft and more liquid again so you can pour it over your hot cake.  Or, you can just not start making the icing until the cake is 5-10 minutes from being done.
 
(Geez, Pammy Sue.  Why don't you just write your own recipe already instead of confusing everybody!)
 
Disclaimer:  Y'all do whatever you want.  I'm just a little OCD and have to micro-manage everything.  Don't be hatin' me.  I do it with love and good intentions. 
 
Chocolate Coca-Cola Cake


1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1/3 cup cocoa
1 cup cola soft drink (8 oz.)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk (or milk with a little vinegar stirred in)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows

Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring until butter melts. Remove from heat.

Combine flour, sugar, and baking soda in a large bowl; stir in butter mixture. Add eggs, and stir until blended. Stir in buttermilk, vanilla, and marshmallows.

Pour into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking pan. Bake at 350º for 25 to 30 minutes or until a pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven; spread Chocolate Coca-Cola Icing over warm cake.

Chocolate Coca-Cola Icing

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup cocoa
1/3 cup cola soft drink
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans

Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring until butter melts. Remove from heat; stir in powdered sugar, vanilla, and pecans. Spoon immediately over warm cake.

5 comments:

  1. oh that sounds delicious. I knew you would get around to posting the recipe. And I do love the warm rich colors you chose for the afghan and now I know why you chose them. Made my day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooo! I LOVE computer secrets! Can't wait....

    That cake sounds great. I've copy and pasted it for future reference. I usually only make cakes when I'm having company since between Big Daddy and me....it's ME that eats the most cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake sound very interesting. Will have to give it a try.

    Love the new color.. Linen is going to be perfect. Love the larger square.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My printer is warming up right now. Thanks so much for the pattern and the recipe.. I will definitely be trying both! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you KNOW I LOVE a good recipe! This one sounds a winner, and I can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing it! ~tina

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥