Monday, February 15, 2010

How To...

Lesson #1

Okay, here's your lesson on retrieving information from a website if you are getting an error message.  (The blind leading the blind!  Ha-ha.)

I'm using Dayna's crochet patterns as the example, but this should work with anything.  Keep in mind, Hubby thinks there may be a limited amount of time that this works before whatever you're looking for goes away permanently, but he's not sure what that time period is.

I was looking at pictures of Dayna's squares in the designer section of Ravelry yesterday, but whenever I clicked on any of the pattern links, I got an error message.  When that happens, if you'll put whatever it is you're looking for into Google and do a search and you can get it to come up on the Google Search Results page, you can retrieve it.  You need to be as specific as you can.

For example, I put "Dayna's Crochet Wheel Lattice" into the search box and hit enter.  This is what came up on the Search Results:

Dayna's Crochet - Free Patterns - Feb 14
Wheel Lattice. 12 inch square (with 7" and 8" options), easy and light. Materials: I hook. Worsted weight yarn ... Dayna Audirsch, July 14, 2004 ...
dayna.tdgservices.com/ShowPattern.aspx?PatternID=58 - Cached -

If you click the link to go to the page, you'll still get the error message.  BUT...Do you see that word "Cached" at the very end?  If you click on that, OMG!, it will come up!  (Click on it on the Search Results page, Silly, not above.)

It's MAGIC!  There it is in plain English, but I had no idea!

You'll need to put in "Dayna's Crochet" and then the exact pattern name you want, and you'll have to do it separately for each one you want.  You must find the exact page that you want on the Search Results Page.  Ravelry.com has pictures of all the squares and their names.  When you get into Ravelry, just do a search under "Designers" for "Dayna" and they will come up.  (For those of you who don't know, you have to be a member of Ravelry to get inside and see all the goodies.  That can take several days after you apply for membership on their home page.)

I hope I explained all that correctly.  If not, or if you need additional info, just let me know in the comments.

************************************

Lesson #2

The Smarty Pants Dance




Class dismissed.

9 comments:

  1. You're a hoot! Thanks for always making me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure I've used that first one. Thanks for the reminder, as I love all the tricks in the book.

    This second one is too cute. One smart little girl.

    Nap time. It crazy the rest of the week out here. Just got back from the Mall looking for a new purse. Not a great day to do that chore, as all the kids were there hanging out with no school. Not happy, I like it too myself, especially when on a mission.

    I feel the same about commenting. I will be able to blog while south, but just not sure how well. Commenting too everyone will be another story. But, you know you are in the top group.

    Zzzzzzzz,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. It worked!! I was able to get all of the ones I wanted except for Sun Daze and Frilly Flower.. for some reason no cached page came up for those two. Your hubby is a genius :) Love the smarty pants dance... too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:24 AM

    Google is great.....duh.......BP

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a genius!! Thanks for the tip I didn't know you could do that with google. I've use the internet archiver for years but this will be easier since it's google!! How appropriate is the smarty pants dance? I bet you're doing it right now aren't you?? Yeah, I would be too! Thanks for the pattern and recipe, they're on my ever growing list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG that is supper kudoo's for hubby showing you how to cached extra desert tonight fot that. I love the Smarty Pants dance she is really a smart kid now can't imagine what good things come her way. Love the squares your making and enjoy neat things to see and learn from here. Take care friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! I LOVE THE SMARTY-PANTS DANCE! That little Lola is adorable.....and smart!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I started following your blog recently (found you through Keri), and I think you're too funny!

    I'd like to offer you another solution to your website/images/links problem.

    If you're experiencing difficulties with certain websites, sometimes clearing the cached files and cookies can solve the problem.

    For Internet Explorer, go to Tools, then Internet Options, then on the General tab, and under the browsing history, choose "delete." A window comes up with options. Place a check mark next to everything except for your passwords. Then click "delete" again. That should do the trick.

    For Firefox browser, go to Tools, then Options, then on the Privacy tab, choose the browsing history, etc., and follow similar technique as above.

    Hope this helps!!

    Take care,
    Melisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥