Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Snowflakes & Molasses Bars

Crocheted Snowflake Garland

I got the pattern for the snowflakes made with regular worsted weight yarn HERE. It's really easy and quick. I didn't use their method for making the garland. I just crocheted a chain of 42 and then started adding in the snowflakes with a single crochet, ch 14, add another with a sc, ch 14, until I'd used up all my snowflakes, and ended with another 42 chains. I used Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn.

I made these bars yesterday. It's really a cake so I don't know why they call it bars, but whatever...they're really fantastic if you like that deep, dark, earthy flavor of molasses like I do. I think the coffee in the recipe is the secret ingredient that makes these super-delicious.


This recipe came from my MIL, Bonnie, in Wisconsin. When she read my post about the Ginger Cookies and how well Barnaby liked them, she emailed me and send me this recipe which was a favorite of his as a kid. Thanks, Bonnie!

Changes I made to the recipe:

*I used butter instead of shortening.
*I used regular molasses. I've never heard of "light" before.
*I left out the cloves.
*I used a cream cheese frosting instead of a plain powdered sugar frosting after the bars had cooled completely.

Frosted Molasses Bars

1/2 C. shortening
1/2 C. sugar
1 well-beaten egg
1/2 C. light molasses
1/2 C. hot water
1-1/2 C. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. instant coffee
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves

Thoroughly cream shortening & sugar; add egg & molasses; mix well. Add hot water. Add sifted dry ingredients & beat til smooth. Pour into greased 13 x 9 pan & bake at 350 degrees F for 25 mins. While warm, frost w/powdered sugar frosting.

7 comments:

  1. I love your stars they are really pretty neat idea. Your homemade desert looks good too cup of coffee with mine please. When they say lite molasses or kyro syrup it means the color of it some are really clear in color some are really dark it is not a sugar free ingredient. Glad to see that your getting so much better and can enjoy doing anything you like. Well take care friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love these stars they're gorgeous. Look really pretty hanging there.

    Hugs and Love Suex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I can almost smell this baking. I want to put some in the oven right now. Yummo!

    I love your garland. Did you use the yarn with the sparkle in it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummmmm... Those bars look delish. Off to find some white yarn for the flakes. I truely need some inside. Goodness knows we have enough outside today.

    Sounds like you are feeling bettery...yipeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang! If I thought I could jump through my computer screen and eat some of those, I would!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so pretty! I must share with my friend Melissa. We were just talking about crochet today.
    The bars look yummy!
    ps Thank you for the sweet comment about Rocky. We are still hanging in there. He is purring, but refuses to eat or drink. At least he seems to be in no pain, just very tired. I thought of you & Kitty Cat too when I realized its time. We haven't made that trip... yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your garland much better, the others looked chunky or something, i don't know they just didn't look right compared to yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥