Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Ponytail Hat

I finished this Ponytail Hat just a few minutes ago. I don't look good in any type of hat, but isn't it a cute idea though? I got the pattern from a link on Ghost's Blog a couple of days ago. She got the pattern at Crochet Renee'.

I found what I think are errors in the pattern, so here it is with the corrections I made and the yarn type and hook size I used. Maybe they're not errors, but I made the changes anyway because they just made more sense to me. Since I changed some things, I think it's okay to post it. All the credit goes to Renee though.

(I just accidentally typed "Ponytail Hate." Ha-ha.) Okay, let's try again...

Ponytail Hat
Designed by Renee' Barnes
Changes I made in RED

Finished sizes: Sized to fit average woman’s size head, 22”
Materials: Approx. 1/2 skein Yarn Bee Snowflake Wool Blend yarn in Tangerine.
Size E crochet hook (or size needed for gauge)
Yarn needle
Gauge: 5 dc = 1”; 5 rows = 2”

Ch 40; join with a sl st to first ch to form a ring.
Rnd 1: Ch 3, 49 dc into center of circle; join with a sl st to top of first ch-3. (50 dc)
Rnd 2: Ch 4, dc in same sp, * sk next dc, (dc, ch 1, dc) in next dc, rep from * 23 times, join with sl st to 3rd ch of ch 4.
Rnd 3: Sl st into first ch 1 sp, ch 4, dc into same ch 1 sp, *(dc, ch 1, dc) in next ch 1 sp, rep from *23 times, join with sl st to 3rd ch in beg ch 4.
Rnd 4: Rep Rnd 3.
Rnd 5: Sl st into first ch 1 sp, ch 5, dc into same ch 1 sp, *(dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch 1 sp, rep from *23 times, join with sl st to 3rd ch in beg ch 4.
Rnd 6: Sl st into first ch 2 sp, ch 5, dc into same ch 1 sp, *(dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch 1 sp, rep from *23 times, join with sl st to 3rd ch in beg ch 4.
Rnd 7: Sl st into first ch 2 sp, (ch 3, dc, ch 1, 2 dc) into same ch 2 sp, * (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in next ch 2 sp, rep from * 23 times, join with sl st to top of ch 3.
Rnd 8: Sl st in next dc, sl st in ch 1 sp, (ch 3, dc, ch1, 2 dc) in same ch 1 sp, * (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in next ch 1 sp, rep from * 23 times, join with sl st to top of ch 3.
Rnd 9-11: Rep Rnd 8.
Rnd 12: Sl st in next dc, sl st in ch 1 sp, * (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in next ch 1 sp, (dc, ch1, dc) in next ch 1 sp, rep from * 11 times, join with sl st in 3rd ch of beg ch 4.
Rnd 13: Sl st in ch 1 sp, ch 4, dc in same ch 1 sp, * (2 dc, ch 1 2 dc) in next ch 1 sp, (dc, ch 1, dc) in next ch 1 sp, rep from * 11 times.
Rnd 14: Sl st in ch 1 sp, (ch 3, dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in same ch 1 sp, * (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in next ch 1 sp, rep from * 23 times, join with sl st to 3rd ch of beg ch 4.
Rnd 15: Rep Rnd 8.
Rnd 16: Sl st in next dc, sl st in ch 1 sp, ch 3, 4 dc in same ch 1 sp, *5 dc in next ch 1 sp, rep from * 23 times, join with sl st to top of ch 3; finish off. Weave in loose ends using yarn needle.

Note: My beginning chain of 40 ended up making the ponytail hole much too big. After I finished, I tightened the circle up and cut off 2-3 inches of chain and tied it off. Next time I'll start with a Ch 30.

12 comments:

  1. I want both....

    A ponytail
    and
    A hat.....

    Those directions look complicated... It must be easier than it looks. I might have to give one a whirl. But, what do I do without a pony-tail.

    Back to work for me.

    Finishing getting all the decor away, so I don't have to worry about as we remodel. And to be honest, I'm sick of all the red/green about now. Way tooooo much clutter for me as we are still moving around from room to room and out of the master....

    Will try to pop in every so often.

    xoxoxoxo
    Kate - The Garden Bell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam!

    That hat is cute. Great idea!!!

    I look terrible in hats too. I have one of those full faces that just don't look good with hats of any kind except a large brim to cover most of it. LOL

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the mention and I agree with your corrections. I just did them and did not make note of them. And I also agree about the starting chain. Mine will be smaller next time too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wore one I made, not too long ago to a store I was shopping in, and it was funny how fascinated another customer WAS with it! You would have thought I had just discovered electricity or something.. (0; but I WAS flattered she liked it! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:09 AM

    Who is the sexy model wearing the pony tail hat? BP

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:36 AM

    I am thinking about using a piece of elastic material instead of the 30/40 chain for the ring. My daughter has a huge head of hair and bun and when she put the hat on it wouldn't fit around her bun, however, my hair is thin and if the hole was any bigger, it would look silly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So if you change beginning chain to 30, how many times do you DC in center, 39?

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I stated, this is not my pattern. I have no idea what I did in 2009 when I made this. I barely remember what I had for dinner today!! Go to the link I gave for the original author. Maybe she can help you. I hope so. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:09 PM

    I make bun hats and begin using an elastic hair tie and crochet around it as if it is a magic ring. Works perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:02 PM

      I use the hair tie also. I do 24 around the tie and go from there.

      Delete
  10. I'm definitely goi g to try going around a ponytail band. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥