Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Compost Cookies

Sounds kinda gross, huh?

I made these cookies this afternoon and they are delicious and unique. They've got that salty-sweet thing going on. I heard about this cookie from Anderson Cooper. (Love him!) He's been talking about them for three days since he's been sitting in for Regis on Live with Regis & Kelly. He gets them at a bakery in New York, but I went online and found a copycat recipe.

Compost Cookies
Makes approx. 30 good-sized cookies

1 stick butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons dry, used coffee grounds
1 egg
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup roughly crushed potato chips
1/2 cup roughly crushed pretzels
1/2 cup roughly crushed Fritos
1/2 cup peanut butter or butterscotch chips
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350º.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugar, egg, coffee grounds, and vanilla.
In a medium bowl, combine the rest of ingredients. Using a spatula, fold together with the creamed ingredient until evenly distributed.
Scoop approx 2 Tbsp of batter and drop two inches apart onto a cookie sheet. Press dough down slightly with the palm of your hand.
Bake at 350º for 10-11 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 2 minutes. Then place cookies on wire racks to cool.

Note: I used one cup of chocolate chips instead of half chocolate and half peanut butter or butterscotch because that’s all I had.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! This recipe is like none I've ever heard of! I'll have to try this recipe out!.. I'll just have dry out some coffee grounds! No problem there.. I ALWAYS have PLENTY of coffee grounds around!!.. Oh, and while I'm making them, I'll be thinking of Anderson Cooper!!.. I didn't know who you were talking about at first, so I looked him up.. and he's actually pretty GOOD looking, isn't he?!!! Gee, "Compost Cookies" is such an ugly name.. I like "Anderson Cooper Cookies" so much better!.. I'll let you know how they come out! Thanks for sharing the recipe! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been a while since I baked. I am not good at it any longer. Use to be but you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's not to like about this one. Sweet and Saltie, just perfect. I have a feeling this will be on my list right up there with your Taco Soup.......

    Now to just get to the store. Do you think I can get Scooter to stop on his way home tonight... na....probably not... But, he does like those Butterscotch chips....

    Printing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you through The Garden Bell. I didn't know anyone other than myself had so many different names for their pets. I, too, had an Abbey. Called her Babs, Abs, Flabby Babby, Ibby, and so on! I will be adding you to my reads. Enjoyed your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, found you through The Garden Bell. I just adopted a 10 month old box mix and we named her Abby (aka Abby Gail, Abbazabba.) I'm a new crocheter too and I see you have some blogs I must visit on your side bar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pammy! Just made a batch of "Anderson Copper" cookies, and they came out pretty good... They are definitely unique in taste and texture, but they ARE good!.. Just wanted to let you know I DID try them! Thanks again for the recipe! ~tina (Oh, and I didn't know it, but they actually sell chocolate and peanut butter chip morsels mixed in ONE BAG now! I was glad to find them!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥