Monday, November 23, 2009

Penuche Recipe

There's more holiday candy-making going on at my house. I'll be making chocolate fudge and probably peanut butter fudge on Wednesday along with my pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving. More to come...

I made this Penuche yesterday evening. It turned out great, but I like mine to taste a little "browner." This is usually made with brown sugar, so that's probably the difference I'm tasting.


I used half of the amount of nuts and put them on half of the bottom of the pan this time before pouring the hot candy in. It works better. There were a lot of air bubbles in this that you can see if you look closely. I also used a loaf pan instead of an 8" x 8" pan for this batch. Here's the recipe which I got off of the Internet somewhere. I can't remember where...

Oops! I just realized when i was typing this recipe that I left out the brown sugar yesterday!! No wonder it didn't taste "brown" enough. I can't believe it turned out at all.

Penuche Fudge

1/8 cup butter (1/4 stick, cold)
1 ½ cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
2/3 cup evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed)
2 cups mini marshmallows
1 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Line a bread loaf pan with foil and butter it.

Heat milk at medium setting until warm; add sugars. Bring to a rolling boil while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Add marshmallows and mix thoroughly until the marshmallows are melted completely. Bring back to a full boil and boil for a FULL five minutes. Do not cheat this boil – err on the side of too long rather than not long enough. The mixture will start to turn brown during the boil. If you get brown flakes in the mixture, turn down the heat a little. Be sure to stir constantly. It will burn easily if you don’t.

Remove from heat. Add vanilla, butter, and nuts, but do not stir. Let it just sit for about 2 minutes. Mix thoroughly and pour into prepared loaf pan. Cool completely at room temperature. Remove foil and candy from the pan. Remove the foil from the candy, cut into squares. Store covered at room temperature.

Your candy should be grainy and sugary when completely cool. That’s how it’s supposed to be instead of smooth and creamy like some fudge recipes.

1 comment:

  1. I like the look of your new blog! It feels right to me. I am a lone type of person so it does feel right. I love the lone chair in the corner reminds me of a book group I started years ago and gave up. Happy Thanksgiving. I visit often but don't always comment.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥