Friday, November 27, 2009

Flowers & Russian Tea Cakes

I've been making crochet flowers. They're so pretty!

My momma has confiscated the project I was working on. She's going to do some sewing on it because I'm an idiot when it comes to sewing and it would look like a 2nd grader did it.

Russian Tea Cakes
My sister sent me this recipe yesterday. I made them this morning, but I only made half the recipe. It still made 35 cookies. As you can see, i rolled mine into what was supposed to be little crescents, but they just turned out looking like cat turds. I also baked them too long because after I turned off the timer when ti went off, I got distracted and didn't take them out. They would have been much more delicate and delectable if I had taken them out after 10 minutes, but they're still pretty darn good!
From my sister:

I'm sure you've seen cookies like this but this is absolutely the best recipe I've come across for these. They are so yummy you won't be able to quit eating them!

RUSSIAN TEACAKES

1 C. soft butter
1 1/2 C sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 C flour
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 C. finely chopped nuts (food processor or coffee grinder works great for this)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Mix all of the above ingredients together and roll dough into 1-inch balls.
Place on greased cookie sheet (or use parchment paper on the cookie sheet). Cookies do not spread when they cook so you can place them pretty close together. Bake in a 400-degree F oven about 10-12 min. until set but NOT BROWN. You'll really have to watch these so they don't over-cook.

Take out of the oven, and while still warm, roll the cookies in powdered sugar. (You can either do this in a bowl or shake them in a bag with the powdered sugar in it.) Place on a rack to cool completely.

3 comments:

  1. Back when I was putting together my crocheted Easter basket, I got into one of my motif books and whipped up a bunch of flowers. Aren't they fun? I was amazed that some of them actually looked like REAL flowers! :)

    I was going to tell you that the cookies look like little cat poops, but you said it for me. I bet they still taste good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound like some cookies we had at Christmas-time when I was a little girl. I am definitely going to make a batch. Thanks for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well....I guess as long as they don't taste like cat turds, it's alright.

    Still didn't figure out what the pretty crochetted flowers are for...?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥