Saturday, October 24, 2009

Movies & Yarn

We saw the movie Paranormal Activity Saturday morning. It wasn’t even very scary and definitely didn’t live up to all the hype. It wasn’t a horrible movie, but was more like watching an episode of A Haunting on TV than a feature film.

Have you seen the previews for that movie, The Fourth Kind about alien abductions in Nome, Alaska? I’d like to see that one. Not that I believe in alien abductions, but it just looks like a good movie. (For the record, I don’t believe or disbelieve in alien abductions. I do suppose that it’s possible, but I don’t think they’re as common and widespread as some people say.) And I’d also like to see It’s Complicated with Alec Baldwin & Meryl Streep. Again, I’m not much of a Streep fan, but I saw a preview for the movie and it looks like it would be lots of fun. I don’t know what’s up with me going to the movies lately because I normally only go maybe once every two years.









Just look at the scrumminess of my new bunch of yarn! Yes, “scrumminess” is a word…I think. It’s a combination of scrumptious and yummy and often used to describe yarn by crochet fanatics. At least in my world it is. But back to my new yarn. Isn’t it vibrant and beautiful? Most of you other crocheters reading know the inspiration comes from Lucy, of course. I sat and looked at the flicker group photos of project inspired by Lucy as a slideshow on Friday night. So I just couldn’t help myself when we were near a JoAnn’s earlier today from screaming out, “Stop! I want to go there!” I promised and swore I wouldn’t not be long, which I do every time, but this time I meant it and kept my promise because I knew exactly what I was after.

I also made a quick dash to the button aisle and bought three packages of brightly-colored buttons which I mixed together and placed in an empty beef bouillon container I was saving for just the right something. Turns out the buttons were that something. Look how perfectly they fit inside:



The buttons are for to make pillows to match my now in-progress Regular Ripple Blanket and the soon-to-be-in-progress Scrummie Ripple Blanket made with the newly-purchased yarn above. But I shall not rush and stop too soon on the one I’ve already started. I’ll finish it and make it the proper length for the width, which is big enough for a Queen-size bed. I see a lot of beginner crocheters make the mistake of getting in too big of a hurry or getting bored with it all and stopping too soon just so they can say it’s done, don’t you? I hate seeing that. It makes me cringe. What a waste!


Speaking of the now in-progress ripple blanket, it’s so big and heavy I’m finding it difficult to work with and it’s only barely half-done. That sucker is going to be big and I can't wait to see it when it's done!

2 comments:

  1. I hate to admit it, but I think I fall into that category you mentioned of being a new crocheter who starts jobs that are too monstrous, then I get bored and lay them aside to pursue smaller projects. I have a number of these WIPs, most of them afghans, a couple of them unfinished amigurumis, and one or two tote bags. In fact, I was actually planning on doing a post on this very topic. Thanks for prodding me into it. I will try to get that done today.

    Hope your weekend is going well. Oh, and I love your "scrummy" yarn. Beautiful colors! I could sit here and gaze through Attic 24 all day long. I love her gorgeous photos and colorful projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talking about movies last night I watched a classic movie and old black and white year 1942 it had four stars and won many Oscars it was with Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon Teresa Wright in Mrs. Miniver it really was great not one commericail really enjoy a good classic movie.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥