Thursday, October 01, 2009

The Kitty Vigil

Today I just don't feel like doing anything but sitting vigil with Kitty. You see, she's decided that 18 years is enough and has started the process of dying. Cats are like that. They seem to know when it's time to go and stop eating or drinking, and in about three days the process and their lives are over.

We made her leave the spot she had picked to die, which was under the bed in the extra bedroom, and put her in her bed in the bathtub this morning. That's where she has had her bed for a couple of years now. No one uses that bathroom unless we have company, and she has lots of peace and quiet away from the dogs.

So I keep going in there every couple of hours and checking to see if she's still breathing. Barnaby calls and asks about her, and I'll go check again. If she stirs or lifts her head, I'll scratch her under her chin and behind the ears for a few minutes. This could go on into tomorrow, but I don't think much longer than that.

It's horrible just sitting around and wandering around the house waiting for her to go, but there's nothing else to be done about it.

5 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that kitty is moving on it is a sad time I know. Our pets are like kids to us and they give so much unconditional love to us. I will be thinking of you and kitty. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I'm so sorry about Kitty! I did this very same thing with Buddy and it was so hard. He ended up going to kitty heaven when I wasn't looking. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, I'm sad for you, and I'm sure the waiting is horrible. You may remember that we lost our cat not too long ago. It was heart-breaking, but I now like to think of all the happy years he lived and all the good memories he left us. I'll be thinking about you and Kitty when I lay my head down tonight. - Keri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im sorry to hear about your kitty I hope it had a great life, 18 is OLD so its been a good long one! Hope u are well Im back in australia so I can finish putting ur swap package together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :(
    So sorry. You are in my thoughts & prayers.Hang in there.
    So glad Kitty was a part of your life. How lucky for her.
    I am sure it was a wonderful 18 years.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥