Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I'm Famous Ya Know

Y'all didn't know I was a famous published author, did you? Several people have commented on the Taco Soup I mentioned in a previous post. I submitted a recipe for it years ago to a cooking magazine and they picked it to be featured in one of their annual cookbooks. Here's a picture of the book below and a close-up of the Taco Soup recipe. I blocked out my last name for security reasons. Authors sometimes get stalkers, don't ya know. It's hard being famous. The paparazzi is so annoying!


You can click on this picture and get a bigger version that you can actually read. If it doesn't work, let me know.

And that quote is a lie, by the way. I never said that. One of the requirements of submitting a recipe was to include a brief statement about the recipe. I said something much dorkier and flamboyant, but they didn't use it. Hmphf! I wish I could remember what it was exactly.

The Taco Soup recipe in the book is NOT the recipe that I use now. I have a much better one. The super-not-so-secret ingredient is the Ranch Dressing Mix. Don't leave it out! And just because I'm a giver, here's the recipe I now use:

The Real Taco Soup

1 lb hamburger
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
Several cloves fresh garlic, chopped
2 cans (14-oz each) diced tomatoes with juice
1 can (4-oz) diced green chilies
2 cans black beans, drained
1 can pinto beans w/jalapenos, drained
1 pkg Ranch Dressing Mix (the dry powder)
1 pkg Taco Seasoning Mix
1 can (15-oz) beef broth

Brown hamburger well with onion, garlic, and green pepper until meat is no longer pink. Add to crockpot. Add rest of ingredient to crockpot, mix well, and cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 4 hours.

Garnish each bowl with shredded cheese and serve with tortilla chips.

2 comments:

  1. That's IT!!!! I knew I knew you from somewhere. It was that show on the Food Channel where Bobby Flay went to Texas to challenge this wanna-be chef to see who could throw together the best pot of Taco Soup!! If I remember correctly, you kicked his ass, right?? :) Oh well, so you weren't on with Bobby Flay? I guess being a famous author in a cookbook is right up there with "Throwdown"! Congrats, and I can't wait to try your soup. It sounds delicious and not too high in carbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Sounds really good. And just in time for the cooler weather too. I love soups!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥