Saturday, June 13, 2009

Pam's Chicken Pot Pie

Saute the celery & onions in olive oil, add next 5 ingredients and heat through. Add the butter slices and allow to melt and mix well. (That's the secret ingredient that makes it SO GOOD!) Don't tell anyone.

Spray your pie plate with cooking spray and place the innards of your pie inside it. See the pie dough beside the pie plate? That's the kind I want you to use....unless you are Mr. or Mrs. Fancy Pants and want to make it from scratch.

Unroll your pie crust dough and place it over the innards. Tuck the excess under all the way around, and then use a knife to make vent holes on top of the dough.

Place it in the oven and bake it until it looks like this and the innards are bubbling around the sides.

Let it sit for about ten minutes, and then dish it out and eat it up. Don't forget the sliced tomatoes and sliced raw onion to go with it. That makes it even better if that's possible. Pour yourself an ice-cold glass of milk too. You can have iced tea if you like, but milk goes great with this meal, and I hear it does a body good.

I made myself sick last night eating this because I had a second helping when I knew I shouldn't have.

Here's the recipe all properly written out for you.

Pam’s Chicken Pot Pie
(Note: There is no pot in this pie)

Refrigerated Pie Crust Dough (See below)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 stick of celery, chopped
½ cup chopped onion
Salt, pepper, onion powder, thyme, sage
1 can (12.5-oz) chunk white chicken
1 can Cream of Chicken soup, undiluted
16-oz pkg frozen vegetables
½ cup milk
1/3 stick butter, sliced

Note: I like Pillsbury’s All-Ready Pie Crust that you can find by the cans of biscuits and cookie dough at the grocery store. The dough comes rolled and all you have to do is unroll it and place it over the pie.

In a large skillet, sauté celery and onion in olive oil until soft. Add frozen vegetables, soup, chicken, and seasonings of your choice. Add about ½ cup milk and combine. Heat through. Add slices of butter and stir until melted and well combined. Remove from heat.

Spray a deep-dish pie plate with cooking spray. Add chicken & vegetable mixture to pie plate, cover with pie dough and tuck edges in all around. Use a knife to make slits in the top of the crust for venting.

Bake at 425 degrees until crust is well-browned, 20-25 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. Damn! I was looking for the "pot" in the pie!

    (Sounds yummy and I love chicken pot pie.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You, I am always with left-over chiken. Terrific recipe that sounds fast. I will definitely try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam! I have my own recipe, but great minds think alike, huh?! I just made this for dinner last (Sat)night!! I LOVE homemade chicken pot pie!.. and no, I don't put any pot in mine either!! (0;
    I can't wait to gobble down leftovers later for lunch today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I have some cooked chicken in the freezer I can use to try this recipe. Darn! No "dog tails"?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥