Monday, June 08, 2009

My Rosemary

Have a listen to this while you read this entry:



My favorite Rosemary plant right outside my front door. It's been cut back several times and still thrives. It was itty-bitty when I planted it, and now it's huge. It smells heavenly. Almost every time I walk by it I put my hands all over it and take a big whif. The smells stays on my hands and I love it. I also use it frequently when I cook. I just take some sissors out there and snip off what I need from an inconspicuous place.

I have two other Rosemary plants in the side yard that are thriving too. Barnaby keeps threatening to pull them up to make room for some radishes or something. If he touches them, he'll draw back a nub, and I warn him of that every time he mentions it. I've tried uprooting Rosemary and moving it before, and it always dies. He'll just have to make another bed if he wants to grow anything besides the tomatoes!

And speaking of the tomatoes...they seem to be doing well. We have one Beefsteak, one Roma, and I'm not sure what the other one is but it's just regular tomatoes. Neither one of us has ever grown our own tomatoes before so we're both all excited and can't wait to get our first.

And now I present to you my favorite recipe using Rosemary. I think it's kind of weird the way you do the beans, but that's the way the recipe said to do it so that's what I do. This is a vegetarian dish I used to make a lot when I went through that phase. Of course, if you use chicken broth it's not, but use what you want.

Pasta with White Beans & Rosemary

1-2 onions, thinly sliced into rings and separated.
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp fresh Rosemary, chopped (I use about 5 Tbsp because I like it)
8 oz large shell pasta
2 cans White Northern or Navy Beans, rinsed & drained
2 cans Vegetable Broth (or chicken broth if you prefer)
Salt to taste
Place the 2 cans of broth in a saucepan and heat while you make the onions.

Pour olive oil into a large skillet and heat. Yes, this is a lot of olive oil, but it helps make the sauce so use it all! Add the onions and stir frequently until the onions are caramelized. This takes about 10 minutes or so. Add the Rosemary, stir, and turn off the heat.

Cook the pasta until almost al dente, about 7 minutes. Do not drain. Add the rinsed and drained beans to the pasta and water. Let it heat approx. 3 minutes until the beans are warmed through. The water may not come to a boil again, but that's okay. Now drain the pasta and beans and add back to the pot. You don't need to drain it very well because the water will also help make the sauce. Add the onions, rosemary, and olive oil to the pasta and beans and toss. Add the hot broth and stir. Season with salt. I like a little garlic powder too, but just a little. The Rosemary is the star here!

Cover and let sit 20-25 minutes. The pasta soaks up the broth and gets plump, and the beans break down a little to help thicken the sauce.

Serve with hot buttered bread and a salad. This is comfort food DELUXE! I love it.

1 comment:

  1. I am definitely making this. It sounds delicious and like something we would really enjoy. I too love the smell of rosemary.

    Did you make hot rolls to go with it? (tee hee AGAIN)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥