Sunday, May 31, 2009

Pink Pineapple Shawl



I finished the Pineapple Shawl! Actually, the pattern I used isn't a shawl pattern...it's a chair back pattern supposed to be done in thread. I'd seen several people use yarn and a larger hook and use it for a shawl and thought it was so pretty. I couldn't find a pattern I liked as much at the time, so that's what I did too. I've since found some actual pineapple shawl patterns that I like and want to try also. This particular pattern can be found HERE, but you'll have to join the Yahoo Group to have access. It's free, and there are tons of nice patterns there.

I used an H hook and made a conscious effort to crochet more tightly than I normally do. Mine measures 52 inches across the top and 33 1/2 inches from top to the bottom tip. It's really big!

(To find the pattern once you've signed in, go to Files and click on that, scroll down to Chair Sets and click on that, then scroll down to PineFanChairSet.pdfPineapple Fan Chair Set - Favorite Designs Book No. 205 - The Canadian SpoolCotton Company - 1944 - with corrections.)

I don't believe I have ever enjoyed crocheting anything as much as this shawl. I loved the way the pattern just flowed and made perfect sense. It was very relaxing and it felt as if I had crocheted the pattern a hundred times before. Do you know what I mean? The only thing was that it kept tricking me into thinking I was nearly finished when I wasn't. I think I said for three days in a row that I was going to be finished that night, only to find that I really wasn't close to finishing at all. You'll see what I mean if you try the pattern yourself. It took me 20-24 hours of crocheting to complete, but I think I'm a slow crocheter.

I'm a little disappointed about the yarn I used. If I had known how much I was going to like the finished shawl, I'd have used a much better quality yarn. I just used plain old Red Heart Super Saver and I feel like it just doesn't do the pattern justice. I think the next one I do I'll use a baby-weight or sport-weight or maybe Caron Simply Soft yarn. I'd use JoAnn's Rainbow Boucle, but I'm afraid the pretty pattern would get lost in the colors. I learned that lesson the hard way before. If you want the pattern to show up, and you definitely do for this one, use one solid color.

It's been washed on the gentle cycle in cold water and then dried for about five minutes in the dryer, and then I blocked it on a quilt on my dining room table.

9 comments:

Faith said...

Pammy Sue...how pretty is this?
You are a wonder...that hook must be going in your sleep girl...
Very,Very Pretty....hope you are feeling better....I'll check back again ....

Faith

Barbara Bradford said...

Your shawl certainly turned out lovely.

oceankisses said...

OMG! That turned out GORGEOUS! I just love it! You are right about that pattern being one of the prettiest. Great job. Can't believe you finished it so fast!

Carol said...

Your shawl is beautiful and I love the color. Thank you for sharing.

Beverooni said...

That is gorgeous. Plymouth makes a really nice DK weight yarn. It would be gorgeous in that, I think.

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Pammy! Your shawl came out BEAUTIFUL!! I have seen rugs and pillows done from doily patterns, but never a shawl before.. The pattern is very pretty, and I love the pink!

Anonymous said...

you are my favorite 80+ yr old friend.............BP

Mainely4Knitting said...

Gorgeous shawl, such beautiful crochet work!

FRNJ said...

Thanks so much! I've just rediscovered crochet and am so excited to find your site and the yahoo group. Thanks again!