Saturday, May 09, 2009

Finally, the Tote!

I thought I was nearly finished with this last night, but I've been working on it non-stop since 8:00 this morning! I'm just a bad seamstress. I cannot sew to save my soul. But after much cussing and throwing things and ripping out and starting over, I present to you the Tote Bag! AND, just to show it that it didn't beat me, I'm making another one. So there! Except for the sewing part, it was really fun to make. And I think now that I've made one, the sewing the second one won't be as much of an ordeal.

I used cotton yarn for the main color and acrylic for the trim and straps. The cotton yarn I originally bought to do the trim with just didn't look good so I went with some acrylic yarn I had in my stash.


I cheated a little in the pictures. The straps aren't actually sewn on yet. I want to go get some ribbon to sew onto the backside of them so they aren't so stretchy. That's a little trick that Beansie told me about, along with a few other tricks like splitting the 4-ply yarn and using that to do all the sewing. It worked like a charm!

Click on that link and go see her tote bag too! She and I had a little crochet along and had fun emailing back and forth all week. Her tote turned out beautiful, especially with her flower embellishments. I plan on adding some to mine too. I'll probably work on those while my mom sews the lining in.

Now I've got to go clean up and head on out to Hobby Lobby for that ribbon. My whole day is nearly shot and I'm still in my jammies!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the colors on your bag, Pam! I had such a great time with these totes.. I can't wait to start the second one! I just have to decide what color. For now, I'm going to "play" with the one I finished, taking stuff out of "that other old bag I was using" LOL! THAT just won't do right now!.. then fill and organize my NEW bag! Of course I'll HAVE to totally plan out tomorrow's outfit to match my tote!!.. Shoes..
    I'll have to think about that.. (with a devilish grin, she says!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty tote! You did a great job. I can't wait to see this in person so don't give it away before I come visit you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I think you did a fantastic job and I really like the colors. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥