Monday, April 13, 2009

Good Things

It's all good things for you to read today, as it should be.

We had a good time at my mom & dad's yesterday. It wasn't a bunny cake, but it was really good. Some of you commented that your mothers also made the bunny cake or something like it. I had forgotten about the died green coconut for the grass and the jelly beans for Easter eggs! My mom did that part too. I don't think she used a form pan though. She just used two round pans...one was the body of the bunny, and then you just had to make a couple of cuts to the other round one to make the ears and feet. I didn't get to see my niece or the dress. My sister is going to get some pictures of her and will send them to me.

I slept for 14 hours last night! Wow. I went to bed at 7:30 and didn't get up until 9:15 this morning, which is later than normal. I'm thankful that I have the luxury of doing that when I need to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, enough about me...what do you think about me? Ha-ha-ha. I love that joke.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Surprise! A product review!

I haven't done one of these in a long time. All of these things came from Wal-Mart unless otherwise noted. Enjoy.

My cool new 24-oz water bottle, $5.88. It has a neat-o pop-up straw. I'm determined to drink more water. I have to drink one of these before I can have coffee in the mornings. That's the new law in my house.

I love these pink grapefruit Tic Tacs. They had them out this time last year too. So good, and for a good cause, $1.00 each.

My hubby's favorite breakfast during the week. He takes these little cups of oatmeal to work. You just add water and microwave for 1 minute and 15 seconds. 68 cents each.

Jiffy is my favorite cornbread mix. It says corn muffin mix, but the side of the box has the "Johnny Cake" recipe, which is the same as the muffins only you make it in an 8 x 8 pan. I had always used Martha White mix like my mother which is just plain, unsweet cornbread. Jiffy is sweet, and if you want to be evil, you can even add two more Tbsps of sugar. I started using this back in the mid-'80s, recommended by Boon Pappy and the rest of the Plano firemen at Station 10. 33 cents per box, but on sale sometimes for 4/$1.00.

Smells good! I don't know how much it costs, but it's less than $2.

I bought this at Target after reading about it in one of my magazines. It works. I think it was a little over $5.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now to more serious things, but a thrilling story. Had y'all been keeping up with this story? Being the news hound that I am, I was, and was surprised at the heroic ending. I thought he was a gonner for sure:

U.S. Navy Frees Captain, Kills 3 Somali Pirates
Monday, April 13, 2009
FOX News

Navy SEAL snipers on the fantail of a destroyer cut down three Somali pirates in a lifeboat (with only three shots!) and rescued an American sea captain on Easter Sunday. The surprise nighttime assault in choppy seas ended a five-day standoff between a team of rogue gunmen and the world's most powerful military.

It was a stunning conclusion to an Indian Ocean odyssey that began when freighter Capt. Richard Phillips, 53, was taken hostage Wednesday by pirates who tried to hijack the U.S.-flagged Maersk Alabama. The Vermont native was held on a tiny lifeboat that began drifting precariously toward Somalia's anarchic, gun-plagued shores.

The operation, personally approved by President Obama, quashed fears the saga could drag on for months and marked a victory for the U.S., which for days seemed powerless to resolve the crisis despite massing helicopter-equipped warships at the scene. Negotiations with the three pirates were growing heated, Vice Adm. Bill Gortney said.

One of them pointed an AK-47 at the back of Phillips, who was tied up and in "imminent danger" of being killed when the commander of the nearby USS Bainbridge made the split-second decision to order his men to shoot, Gortney said. Navy snipers took aim at the pirates' heads and shoulders, he said.

(Read the rest if you like on the FOX News Website)
Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:42 PM

    blogging fool, God, I thought was keeping up. BP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous Post!

    My Mom did the Bunny w/out a form too. two rounds: one for the head, the other for ears & box tie!

    I am excited about the tic tacs! I LOVE Graperfruit & I have regular tic tacs in my purse. I hope we get them soon in Indy!

    Jiffy is my fav for Corn bread & also blueberry, & rasberry muffins.

    YAY FOR THE HERORIC NAVY!!! Gotta love the Navy. How cool! Go Navy! I thought he was a gonner too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥