Friday, January 30, 2009

The Day After

Okay, I was really immature to say that, "2009 Sucks Ass," but it felt good at the time to write that out, and I stand by it. 2009 has really sucked so far. You guys know I can have the sense of humor and mindframe of a 12-year-old boy sometimes.

I cried so much and so hard yesterday that I felt like my head was going to explode from the pressure it created, to say nothing of my heart. The hardest thing after we got home was last night when I crawled in bed (my happy place) to read magazines and Little Boy wasn't there. I sobbed again for a while, and Sammi and Fletcher licked my tears away, wondering what was wrong with me. Sammi knew from the time we got home that something was wrong and stuck close to me. She's always been very sensitive like that. It took Fletcher a little longer to realize something was up, but he finally did. Abbey and Phoebe are so old I think they're senile, so neither of them paid any attention.

Anyway, my happy place won't be so happy for a while, I guess. I know it will get better with time.

It calms me to bake, so I baked the first thing I saw on AllRecipes.com yesterday, which was a Golden Rum Cake. I halved the rum because I really don't like the taste, and I replaced it with water. It's really good. Next time I'll replace all of the rum with orange juice, but I'll definitely make it again. It was quick and easy.


Golden Rum Cake

1 cup chopped walnuts (I used pecans)
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup dark rum

Glaze:
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1/4 cup water
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup dark rum

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan. Sprinkle chopped nuts evenly over the bottom of the pan.

In a large bowl, combine cake mix and pudding mix. Mix in the eggs, 1/2 cup water, oil and 1/2 cup rum. Blend well. Pour batter over chopped nuts in the pan.

Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let sit for 10 minutes in the pan while you make the glaze.

To make the glaze: in a saucepan, combine butter, 1/4 cup water and 1 cup sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat and continue to boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup rum.

When the glaze is ready, remove cake from pan. Pour half the glaze into the bottom of the Bundt pan, replace the cake carefully, and slowly pour the remaining glaze over the top (which is really the bottom of the cake) Allow cake to absorb glaze for about 30-45 minutes then turn out onto a plate to cool completely. Do not refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥