Monday, July 28, 2008

I'm Hot

This is the City of Allen water tower -- one of them. Every time I see it, I think about a guy I used to work with. His wife had problems with depression for years, and they had four small kids. One day she drove up to this water tower and committed suicide by shooting herself in the head.


That was really a feel-good story, wasn't it? Sorry.


I love this t-shirt. In fact, I'm wearing it today!
We made it to the clock shop Saturday and dropped the clock off to be cleaned and oiled. But we didn't, however, make it to the book store, the shoe warehouse, or Starbucks. Barnaby decided he was hungry and just couldn't wait until we were finished shopping. I had told him we should eat on the way home because if I ate first, I'd be too miserable to do anything else. And that's exactly what happened. I intentionally didn't eat much hoping I'd be okay, but nope. It was extremely hot in that restaurant, and I sweated my ass off and got miserable.
I'm going to make a very general sweeping statement here. Too bad if I offend you. Why do foreigners not know to turn the damn air conditioner up so it's cool in their restaurants? I swear, Asians and Mexicans and Indians all insist on owning every damn restaurant around here, and then they keep it so miserable in there, it's impossible to enjoy yourself. Don't they know us Americans are delicate and spoiled rotten? We are the people patronizing your damn restaurants, nail salons, and cleaners, DAMMIT. Turn the damn air on full blast!
I may or may not be irritable from the heat. You decide. It may or may not be the reason I'm fantasizing about getting a pool. I should wait until the winter and see if I still want one. They may have better prices then anyway.
Remember when I told y'all about the Hormel Roast Beef Au Jus and how great it was? Well, I saw the below recipe in a magazine and it got my mind going (uh-oh, always trouble). There are a ton of things you could do with this really great-tasting roast besides just having roast. I got one plus all the ingredients to make this stew, and I also got another roast to make some beef enchiladas. When I make the enchiladas later this week or next, I'll post the recipe. I'm going to make one up using stuff we like. Anway, here's the stew recipe from Better Homes & Gardens magazine. It looks simple and delicious. I couldn't find the frozen potatoes it calls for, so I'm just going to use some red potatoes I already have and roast them myself.
Summer Stew
17-oz pkg refrigerated cooked beef roast au jus (see link above)
8-oz pkg peeled fresh baby carrots, sliced
3 1/2 cups water
1/2 of a 16-oz pkg refrigerated rosemary-garlic roasted red potatoes
14 1/2-oz can fire-roasted tomatoes with garlic
2 Tbsp snipped fresh oregano or 1 Tbsp dried
Pour juices from roast into a large saucepan; set meat aside. Add carrots and 1 cup water to saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 3 minutes. Add remaining water, potatoes, tomatoes, and oregano. Return to boil; cover and simmer 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Break beef into bite-size pieces and add to the stew; heat through. Season with salt to taste.
Sounds yummy and really easy, no? With a salad and bread, it's a great meal in no time. I'm making it this week. Here's the nutritional info if you're interested:
Per serving: 253 cal, 9g fat (4g saturated), 64 mg chol, 948 mg sodium, 20g carbs, 3g fiber, 25g protein (wow, lots of protein!)

I had some other stuff I was going to talk about, but now I've forgotten what they were. Ha! Oh, well, I'll be back later if I think of them.
I just remembered one...We went to Walmart yesterday evening and had a big debate beforehand about whether we should take showers and change clothes before we went. We decided not to and left. While we were in the store, Barnaby walked up behind me and said, "You don't look very skanky at all!"
Uh, thank you. I think.
I just remembered another thing...Barnaby made some short videos of the dogs Friday evening. I think he managed to get my white legs and no-make-up face in all of them. If I can figure out how to cut out the parts with me in them, or if I just get brave and say screw it, I'll post one or two later this afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking you could go a day or 2 without showering and no one in Walmart would even notice. That place just squicks me out sometimes. At least the one near us. Eeeww.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥