I know this is going to sound weird but ...
I was given the below information about myself in a dream on Tuesday. I already knew I had these feelings, but it never occurred to me that they were from other people/animals, there is a name for it, and there are ways to help you deal with and use it, if you so choose, to help others. Of course, I've heard of "animal psychics" and such, but I just never equated it to myself. I've read two books on the subject of HSPs over the last two days, and I have several more books waiting.
If you are rolling your eyes and don't believe in these sorts of things, take your mouse and click the big X in the top right corner of your screen. Oh, and bite me too.
Hello. My name is Pam, and I'm an Animal Empath. To a lesser degree, I am also an Intuitive Empath.
Animal Empathy: The gift of talking to animals and understanding their needs. Animal empaths feel the emotions of animals.
Intuitive Empathy: The gift of feeling the emotions of other people.
There are many other types of Empaths. Research the Internet if you're interested in any others.
The below information about Empathy and Empaths was obtained from the Internet, not from a dream. I just wanted to clarify that.
There is a difference in Empathy and Sympathy...
Empathy is the identification and understanding of feelings or situations without having direct knowledge of the feelings or situations. Sympathy is compassion or commiseration. Empathy is direct understanding. The person who empathizes for another has the same emotional experience as the person currently suffering. Sympathy is merely pity for another.
We all can be empathetic to a degree, but Empaths have no choice. It is possible to learn to turn your empathy on/off or up/down, so that it doesn't interfere with daily life.
Empaths are highly sensitive people (HSPs). This is the term commonly used in describing one's abilities (sensitivity) to another's emotions and feelings. Empaths have a deep sense of knowing that accompanies empathy and are often compassionate, considerate, and understanding of others. Generally, those who are empathic grow up with these tendencies and do not learn about them until later in life. (Hello, Pam! This is why you think you're crazy!)
Empaths are often very affectionate in personality and expression, great listeners and counselors (and not just in the professional area). They will find themselves helping others and often putting their own needs aside to do so. In the same breath, they can be much the opposite. They may be quiet, withdrawn from the outside world, loners, depressed, neurotic, life's daydreamers, or even narcissistic. Animals are often dear to the heart of empaths, not as a power object, but as a natural love. It is not uncommon for empaths to have more than one pet in their homes. (Geez, sound like anyone y'all know?) They are sensitive to TV, videos, movies, news and broadcasts. Violence or emotional dramas depicting shocking scenes of physical or emotional pain inflicted on adults, children or animals can bring an empath easily to tears.
How To Tell If You Are Highly Sensitive
1. You are deeply affected by all aspects of your life. As a Sensitive Soul, you have great emotional passion, intensity, and depth. You may have been told that your emotions are “too much.” You are sensitive, caring, and easily affected by the energy and emotions of others. These qualities make it easy to lose touch with your needs and desires.
2. You have heightened perceptive skills. A Sensitive Soul is intuitive, highly aware, and keenly observant of the subtleties of your environment, including energy, light, noise, smell, texture, and temperature. You may also be empathic or even psychic. Your perceptive skills operate in the physical, intellectual, emotional, and spiritual realms. You tie together things you see into complex and original concepts. This makes you a visionary.
3. You have a lower tolerance for stimulation than others. Because you receive so much information from your surroundings, your threshold for what's "too much" is significantly lower than for those around you. This means: a) You may be seen as shy or timid; and b) You may feel uncomfortably dissimilar to others because you respond so differently to stimulation.
4. You are highly conscientious and thorough in all your undertakings. A Sensitive Soul makes a great employee. You concentrate intensely and process multi-source information. However, you require privacy, uninterrupted time, and little or no pressure in order to do your best work.
5. You have a strong relationship with aesthetics and art. As a Highly Sensitive Soul, you have a passion for beauty, art, and aesthetics. You may be highly artistic and creative yourself. You easily create beauty and comfort. Seeing things 'out of alignment' can actually be physically or psychically distressing.
6. Your inner life is just as intriguing and inspiring as your outer life. You likely have a rich, complex inner life and are highly imaginative. You may find it challenging to connect to 'real world' priorities and realities.
7. You absolutely require private time alone in order to feel replenished. Up to 70% of Highly Sensitive Souls are introverted. But even extroverted sensitives need downtime to rejuvenate, often in a darkened, quiet room.
8. You have a strong spiritual connection and depth. If you are Highly Sensitive, you experience a profound spiritual connection with the divine and/or spiritual realm. You 'see' a lot in what appears common. Because of this you may feel impatient with the truly mundane.
That's all for today. Talk amongst yourselves...