Wednesday, May 07, 2008

A Real Entry

Not THAT kind of smoking -- THIS kind:

Okay, that was lame, but at least I'm trying.

We smoked some salmon on Monday night, and it turned out terrific. Man, is it good! I had a little of it right when it came off the smoker, and I refrigerated the rest and mixed it with a little Miracle Whip, cilantro, and tomatoes, and ate it on Triscuits for lunch yesterday. YUM. We're going to try smoking a brisket next weekend.

Oh, and we also smoked two big onions to use in a salsa recipe that Barnaby got for me. He had it at a poker game at someone's house and thought it was the best he'd ever eaten. I'll probably be making it today, so we'll see. To smoke an onion, you just peel it, cut both ends off, and slice it like you are slicing a pie, but only slice it about 3/4 of the way through so it remains intact. Then you stuff some butter down inside the slices, sprinkle some garlic powder on it, and wrap it in foil leaving the foil open at the top. Set it inside the smoker and let it go for two hours.

Next subject...

I found this in one of my magazines, but I can't remember which one:

"From May 3 to May 11, if you bring an old pair of business shoes *any brand) to a Naturalizer store, they'll donate your pair and a brand new pair to the local Dress for Success -- a nonprofit group that equips low-income women with professional attire. Plus, you'll get a coupon for 20 percent off at the store."

Naturalizer shoes are so comfortable! I got a pair of sandals at a DSW Shoe Warehouse once at a discounted price, and they're the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. They are so expensive at regular price, though, that I haven't bought another pair. Most of them start at about $69.

If you're interested, you can go to www.dressforsuccess.org for more info.

I made a Blueberry Buckle yesterday that was fantastic. I'm trying to decide what to bake for my mom on Mother's Day. Go HERE for the recipe. I kind of wanted something a little more fancy pants than coffee cake, but it was so good, I think I'm going to go with it. I followed the recipe exactly, and it was perfect.

Spring Gardening News:

I bought a big Wisteria plant at Lowe's but haven't planted it yet. Barnaby is going to build me a trellis this weekend for the end of the porch, and that's where I'm going to put it.

I also got some cuttings of Jasmine and some other plant I can't identify from a neighbor. I'm trying to get them to take root using several different methods I read about in the Internet. I'll have to take a picture of the unidentified plant and see if any of y'all know what it is. I've driven myself crazy looking for it with no success.

I've also planted some Blue Hill Sage and Lavender.

The Columbine flowers I planted last year came back and are doing fantastic. They have produced a ton of flowers already and are really pretty.

My beloved Rosemary that I planted in the front flower bed by the front door is gigantic now. I absolutely love it! The others I planted are still alive, but haven't grown as much.

The roses are all doing well, especially the Iceberg I planted last year. I finally got an Iceberg to live on my third attempt, and it's producing lots of flowers.

Enough with the gardening talk already. I'll get some pictures and blather on about them later.

It's been raining here since Monday, and I'm loving it. It's supposed to storm and rain the first part of the day today and clear-up in the late afternoon. It hasn't started raining yet but looks like it could any minute. I'm going to stay inside today and bake some bread, crochet, and catch up on the laundry.

See ya.

1 comment:

  1. We've learned to love smoked, stuffed jalapenos.

    Just chop the tops off, core them (pain in the ass, but pays off nicely in the end) and stuff them with some sort of meat/cheese/onion concoction. Lately we've been liking italian sausage, cream cheese and some caramelized onion. Just mix it till it looks right.

    I smoke them for about 90 minutes. Been doung them with the skins on, but may try roasting them & removing the skins next time. Think the smoke will get deeper.

    Want to try smoking a prime rib, but I'm a skeered to ruin a high dollar cut of meat.

    Heck, now that I know you're smoking, we can compare notes & recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥