Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Lack of Nutrition = The Crazies?

Just a quick update to let you know what the doctor said. He believes all my problems are lack of nutrition. I'm not sure what I think about that yet. He didn't do any blood work or anything, so it was purely conjecture on his part. I'm going back next Tuesday for the blood draw because I drank coffee before I went in today, and he wants me to have fasted.

His full explanation was long and rambling, especially with all the stuttering. But basically he said that he believes I'm lacking in amino acids (such as tryptophan) which are found in proteins. Levels of tryptophan are genetic. (There goes his therapy theory out the window.)

He wants me to take a powdered protein supplement every day, which I should be doing anyway because of the Vertical Gastric Sleeve thing but haven't been doing for months because they tended to make me nauseous after I had the Lap Band removed and the VSG done. I guess I'll just suck it up and do it. I'm nauseous half the time anyway. I failed to tell him about the nausea thing and the gallbladder thing. I forgot my list because I was running late.

Wikipedia says:

"For many organisms (including humans), tryptophan is an essential amino acid. This means that it cannot be synthesized by the organism and therefore must be part of its diet. The principal function of amino acids including tryptophan are as building blocks in protein biosynthesis. In addition, tryptophan functions as a biochemical precursor for the following compounds:

*Serotonin (a neurotransmitter), synthesized via tryptophan hydroxylase. Serotonin, in turn, can be converted to melatonin (a neurohormone), via N-acetyltransferase and 5-hydroxyindole-O-methyltransferase activities. (The melatonin thing can be a reason for my not sleeping, and the serotonin thing is self-explanatory if you know anything at all about depression.)

*Niacin is synthesized from tryptophan via kynurenine and quinolinic acids as key biosynthetic intermediates.

The disorder Fructose Malabsorption causes depression, improper absorption of tryptophan in the intestine, and reduced levels of tryptophan in the blood."

When my blood tests come back next week, we'll see about all those levels in my blood.

I must work now. Good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥