Friday, April 11, 2008

Bundt Cake Palooza

I'm on a Bundt cake kick lately. You'll appreciate this entry if you like to look at recipes. Here are links to the recipes for several Bundt cakes I thought looked good. A review is listed for each cake also. The reviews are not mine.

Now I just have to decide which one to make first! I'm torn between the Almond and Kentucky Butter.

Please note the last recipe link is for Chocolate Glaze, not a cake.

Aunt Johnnie’s Pound Cake
Review: Five Stars; Delicate and delightful! I don't keep cake flour in the house, but on the back of my cornstarch box, it gives directions how to make your own cake flour: For 1 cup cake flour, combine 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp all purpose flour with 2 Tbsp corn starch. Sift together and use in any recipe calling for cake flour. I used this substitution in the recipe and it worked wonderfully. For light texture, remember to cream shortening, butter and sugar, and then add eggs one at a time. This process took me at least 5 minutes of mixing with the electric mixer but was well worth it! A definite keeper.

Bananas & Cream Bundt Cake:
Review: Five Stars; This cake is so moist and has such a great texture. I loved it. I added about 2 tsp. cinnamon and 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips just because I love the combination of flavors. Love the cake. Some reviewers also reduced the sugar and had to bake it longer.

Banana Pineapple-Nut Bundt Cake:
Reviews: Five Stars; Another nice way to use up brown bananas. I used 4 medium size black bananas. Heaped the tsp cinnamon. Used half oil/half applesauce to cut down on fat calories. 60 min. in my oven was perfect. Came out of the bundt pan very easily sprayed with Pam. Used pineapple tidbits, as I find that crushed pineapple seems to get lost in the cake, and adds a bit of texture. Toasted the walnuts, and garnished w/cream cheese glaze and sliced almonds. Saved out some of the batter to make a sample muffin, and it was nice and moist with a very nice hint of cinnamon. Thanks for this easy recipe.

Chocolate Macaroon Bundt Cake:
Reviews: Five Stars; This is a great cake. It is similar to the old chocolate macaroon Bundt mix, but it's better. I have gotten rave reviews when I've made this. It's now my husband's favorite cake!

Coconut Bundt Cake:
Reviews: Five Stars; Great flavor. The ladies at my church luncheon really went nuts over this cake. I added a 3.5 ounce box of instant coconut pudding to the mix, and whirled the coconut in my food processor to avoid the "chunkiness" of the coconut. It made for a luscious flavor and texture.

Glazed Almond Bundt Cake:
Reviews: Five Stars; If I could rate this more than a 5 I would. Followed directions exactly. As I was reading reviews, I noticed that some people had problems getting the cake out of the bundt pan. When ever I use a bundt pan, I spray Baker's Joy which can be found in the baking section of your local grocer. It is in a can and it is a no-stick spray with flour which you just spray in the pan. I have never had a problem with sticking or crumbling. Hope that helps. Very moist.

Kentucky Butter Bundt Cake:
Reviews: Five Stars; I've baked this cake at least a dozen times & always get rave reviews. The cake is very moist with great flavor. It tastes even better the next day! I use Baker's Joy spray to prep Bundt (non-stick or regular) & NEVER have problems with cake breaking up when inverted. I usually cool the cake 40-45 min. at most. After the cake has cooled for 5 min, I poke 30-35 holes in the cake all the way to the bottom of the Bundt pan with the smaller, tapered end of the chopstick. Then I spoon or pour on the butter sauce (I make 1 1/2 times the sauce recipe). Adding 1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon is a great variation. Also, I recommend creaming the butter & sugar for 5 min then creaming another 5 min after adding eggs/vanilla. Then I alternate dry ingredients with buttermilk. The cake rises like a charm (you can use a 12 cup Bundt pan). What a cake!!!

Mohawk Milk Bundt Cake:
Reviews: Five Stars; We love this cake. It's quick and easy and tastes great. Dust with confectioner sugar for a finished look. It won me a second prize in the Hardwick Community Fair - oldest fair in the country!

Easy Chocolate Bundt Cake Glaze: (Five Star Reviews)

And while I'm at it, here's the recipe for the Apple Bundt Cake I promised. I promise, no more Bundt cake recipes for awhile! I will let you know which ones I make and how we liked them though.

Granny’s Apple Bundt Cake
Ova Dove Cullins (my great-grandmother)

2 cups white sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 well-beaten eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups apples - peeled, cored and diced

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease and sugar a 10-inch Bundt pan. Combine oil and sugar. Add well-beaten eggs and apples. Sift flour, soda, salt, and cinnamon, and add to apple mixture. Batter will be very thick.Bake in preheated oven for 55 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.

1 comment:

  1. Two things, maybe more if I lose count.

    That cap from a few days ago. Lime juice bottle maybe?

    In your post about the tornadoes (cool pic by the way) you slipped and let loose Barnaby's RL name.

    Third - that Kentuky Butter Bundt cake looks mighty interesting, and Aunt Johnnies Bundt cake - well, I just like the name. Graduation season is coming, maybe I'll whip out or two for the kiddies.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥